Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

19 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

That doesn't change my statement. No reminders to pay the tenner are sent.  Not arguing anything else. 

i know and i agree with you. you are right but anyone coming in that doesnt know the area would have no idea where to go.

Just now, sheffbag said:

i know and i agree with you. you are right but anyone coming in that doesnt know the area would have no idea where to go.

Its not difficult to do a Google tbf, how much hand holding do people need?  The issue here is he didn't realise he has driven into it, which is another issue entirely. 

54 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

Do you seriously think that the authorities can put a full web address on a traffic sign, which drivers could read and note down, while they are driving?

Remember that this isn’t just in Sheffield. There are CAZ’s all around the country. The signing for all of them has to meet national standards and be consistent everywhere, so drivers aren’t “confused” ( which seems to happen more times than you might expect).

16 hours ago, Colin Foster said:

It does have a photo of my van and states where it was taken. I will appeal purely because as you say nothing to lose but wont hold my breath.

If they'd sent a notice in the first place telling me I needed to pay the charge I'd have been fine with that (not that I agree with it but anyway),  But no, leave it nearly a month before telling me and slap an extra 60 quid on. Disgusting!

The best advice you have been given is to put the penalty on Pepipoo or similar advice sites and get advice from the people who actually do know about this stuff. They will tell you what grounds, if any, you have to challenge the penalty on.

No, it isn’t disgusting at all. What else do you expect?

Do parking enforcement send you a reminder if you forgot to pay and display? No, you get a penalty

Do you get a reminder in the post if you contravene a bus lane? No, you get a penalty.

Do you get a reminder in the post if you fail to pay a road toll or congestion charge? No, you get a penalty.

Expecting councils to send out reminders just places another huge expense on them. It would be an enormous task.

The onus is on you the driver to be aware of your surroundings and pay attention to the many signs you passed warning you that you were approaching a charging CAZ.

I had to go into Sheffield city centre yesterday on a brief errand.

I got lost in the city I've lived in all my life, and couldn't get out.

Roads closed, one way systems, bus lanes, plant pots blocking exits, 'charges may apply' and general mayhem.

3 U turns, 2 traffic violations, and the wrong way up a one way street later I managed to get back on track.

Sheffield, you're just not worth the trouble any more. Probably my last trip to town.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Anna B said:

I had to go into Sheffield city centre yesterday on a brief errand.

I got lost in the city I've lived in all my life, and couldn't get out.

Roads closed, one way systems, bus lanes, plant pots blocking exits, 'charges may apply' and general mayhem.

3 U turns, 2 traffic violations, and the wrong way up a one way street later I managed to get back on track.

Sheffield, you're just not worth the trouble any more. Probably my last trip to town.

Use Google Maps then, rather than relying on info in your head about road layouts that is clearly years out of date. 

Where are these "plant pots" in the city centre, out of interest?

Edited by HeHasRisen

10 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Use Google Maps then, rather than relying on info in your head about road layouts that is clearly years out of date. 

End of Surrey street were the ones I fell foul of. No way out of Norfolk street without a U turn.

14 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Good idea to use Google Maps...or a better idea,  don't go into the city centre unless it's absolutely essential and then catch the tram or bus. I've not been into the centre for several years now and hope not to but I'll not be driving there for sure. 

As and aside,  have a look on Google Maps for the "plant pots " that you seek

Looks like they have been found. 

Edited by Meltman

1 minute ago, Anna B said:

End of Surrey street were the ones I fell foul of. No way out of Norfolk street without a U turn.

Its been like that for a number of years. Also pretty sure signage leading up to there tells you its a no through route. Road layouts in any city change all the time, go and try and drive around Leeds or Manchester. Google Maps is invaluable.

1 minute ago, Meltman said:

You cant search Google Maps for "plant pots".

3 minutes ago, Meltman said:

Good idea to use Google Maps...or a better idea,  don't go into the city centre unless it's absolutely essential and then catch the tram or bus. I've not been into the centre for several years now and hope not to but I'll not be driving there for sure. 

Looks like they have been found. 

I'm same as you Melty, I daren't tackle the City Centre, I'd be lucky to get home for mi Christmas dinner if I did.

It's either the bus, or I'll park up in Tesco car park on Spital hill, and walk into Town...

• Like 1