Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

22 minutes ago, mike1961 said:

No I don't think walking or cycling is something new or just been invented but what is new is the war against the usage of cars and light goods vehicles in the favor of walking or cycling.

I totally agree that some non essential journeys could be done by cycling or walking or by public transport but there are cases where the use of a car or lgv vehicle etc is the only option.

The problem is that everything been done now is to favor cycling or walking etc when is reality for at least 6 months of the year the weather prevents this.

Really? Every motorway I drive on is having work done to it to provide more space for cars, at a cost of billions. The total spend on roads is many many orders of magnitude more than that spent on footpaths and cycle paths.

It's very possible to walk or cycle in the winter, autumn or spring, as well as the summer. Been doing it for years for commuting to work. It's just a bit of rain or cold, and is far healthier than sitting in a car.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Really? Every motorway I drive on is having work done to it to provide more space for cars, at a cost of billions. The total spend on roads is many many orders of magnitude more than that spent on footpaths and cycle paths.

It's very possible to walk or cycle in the winter, autumn or spring, as well as the summer. Been doing it for years for commuting to work. It's just a bit of rain or cold, and is far healthier than sitting in a car.

We'll agree to disagree 

1 hour ago, mike1961 said:

The problem is that everything been done now is to favor cycling or walking etc

"everything" ... is it? - where?

In constrast, we've just spent £50million widening the parkway- to make the J33 queues *look* shorter.

And we're about to spend £20million re-modelling shalesmoor roundabout - to try and squeeze a few more cars/hour through it.

further afield: 'improvements' to The Black Cat roundabout will cost a billion quid! - for a roundabout!

Edited by ads36
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ads36 said:

In constrast, we've just spent £50million widening the parkway- to make the J33 queues *look* shorter.

And we're about to spend £20million re-modelling shalesmoor roundabout - to try and squeeze a few more cars/hour through it.

further afield: 'improvements' to The Black Cat roundabout will cost a billion quid! - for a roundabout!

1 hour ago, ads36 said:

I was really referring to Sheffield City centre which I should have explained.

yes - understood.

where are all these city-centre bike-routes that you're complaining about?

i mean, you seem quite agitated about this, so there must be loads of them...

(i'll help : while there is significant government funding to build half a dozen bike-route-projects, the council has kicked them so far into the long grass, that they've been effectively binned, which has black-listed Sheffield from further funding. You could hardly wish for a more anti-bike council)

Edited by ads36

1 hour ago, ads36 said:

yes - understood.

where are all these city-centre bike-routes that you're complaining about?

i mean, you seem quite agitated about this, so there must be loads of them...

(i'll help : while there is significant government funding to build half a dozen bike-route-projects, the council has kicked them so far into the long grass, that they've been effectively binned, which has black-listed Sheffield from further funding. You could hardly wish for a more anti-bike council)

You must be joking ,what's all the road narrowing and creation of a Dutch style roundabout for then around West Bay?

Just now, mike1961 said:

You must be joking ,what's all the road narrowing and creation of a Dutch style roundabout for then around West Bay?

Should have said West Bar

one project*, which will see the road layout largely unaffacted once completed.

that's it.

(*which won't really connect to any others, making it more or less pointless - imagine if they built roads like that)

Edited by ads36

5 hours ago, mike1961 said:

No I don't think walking or cycling is something new or just been invented but what is new is the war against the usage of cars and light goods vehicles in the favor of walking or cycling.

I totally agree that some non essential journeys could be done by cycling or walking or by public transport but there are cases where the use of a car or lgv vehicle etc is the only option.

The problem is that everything been done now is to favor cycling or walking etc when is reality for at least 6 months of the year the weather prevents this.

Getting a bit hysterical aren’t you? “War against the usage of cars and light goods vehicles”?

I’ve never ever heard anyone else describe a war on usage of light goods vehicles.

Ever since the massive growth in car ownership and use back in the 60s/70s/80s the vast majority of money spent on roads has been used to increase capacity for motorists, often with not much thought to the impacts on people and communities and people’s ability to get around on foot or bike.

So, with the current levels of funding for active travel related schemes, we’re seeing the balance redressed a little, which is not before time.

Policy makers ( your elected representatives) have adopted carbon reduction targets that mean they must try to get a significant shift away from car use in order to meet the targets. There’s no other way they will achieve it. That’s why money is being put in to support the shift with infrastructure. If you think there’s a lot of infrastructure going in here, you should check Manchester, Leeds, Bradford etc. The projects here are small beer in comparison.

Plenty of people do most of their essential journeys by walking cycling or public transport. There are still quite a number of people who do not have cars and plenty of others who do have cars make an informed choice  on what mode of transport  is appropriate for each journey.

Suggesting that walking or cycling is impractical for half the year is plainly ridiculous as others have pointed out. It doesn’t do your arguments any favours when you spout this nonsense. Do you stay indoors or only walk as far as the car 6 months a year?

I know people who cycle for most journeys come rain or shine. You can buy very good waterproof clothing that is very effective at keeping you warm and dry.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

Getting a bit hysterical aren’t you? “War against the usage of cars and light goods vehicles”?

I’ve never ever heard anyone else describe a war on usage of light goods vehicles.

Ever since the massive growth in car ownership and use back in the 60s/70s/80s the vast majority of money spent on roads has been used to increase capacity for motorists, often with not much thought to the impacts on people and communities and people’s ability to get around on foot or bike.

So, with the current levels of funding for active travel related schemes, we’re seeing the balance redressed a little, which is not before time.

Policy makers ( your elected representatives) have adopted carbon reduction targets that mean they must try to get a significant shift away from car use in order to meet the targets. There’s no other way they will achieve it. That’s why money is being put in to support the shift with infrastructure. If you think there’s a lot of infrastructure going in here, you should check Manchester, Leeds, Bradford etc. The projects here are small beer in comparison.

Plenty of people do most of their essential journeys by walking cycling or public transport. There are still quite a number of people who do not have cars and plenty of others who do have cars make an informed choice  on what mode of transport  is appropriate for each journey.

Suggesting that walking or cycling is impractical for half the year is plainly ridiculous as others have pointed out. It doesn’t do your arguments any favours when you spout this nonsense. Do you stay indoors or only walk as far as the car 6 months a year?

I know people who cycle for most journeys come rain or shine. You can buy very good waterproof clothing that is very effective at keeping you warm and dry.

I am actually quite a fit person who goes to the gym at least 3 to 4 times a week to do cardio and weight classes so walking to my car or lgv vehicle I can assure is no problem no matter how far away it is.

But it is an issue for the elderly or disabled person or anyone with mobility issues.

I just think in the real world unless you price motorist's off the road no matter what you do then there isn't ever going to be a massive uptake in cycling or walking.

Also there is another way to reduce carbon and meet targets like the development of synthetic fuel or electric cars etc.