Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

1 minute ago, Meltman said:

I've had an idea!.  Why not organise towns and cities,  oh.and villages too,  so that all amenities, shops, doctors,  libraries, in fact everything are only say 15 minutes walk from home?

Good idea, but where is everyone going to live while they raze the country to the ground and rebuild it? :wink:

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, mike1961 said:

I am actually quite a fit person who goes to the gym at least 3 to 4 times a week to do cardio and weight classes so walking to my car or lgv vehicle I can assure is no problem no matter how far away it is.

But it is an issue for the elderly or disabled person or anyone with mobility issues.

I just think in the real world unless you price motorist's off the road no matter what you do then there isn't ever going to be a massive uptake in cycling or walking.

Also there is another way to reduce carbon and meet targets like the development of synthetic fuel or electric cars etc.

Why are you trotting out all these non issues?

No one ever anywhere has suggested that everyone should walk or cycle for every trip. It’s about having realistic choices.

I’m in my 60’s and I see plenty of people considerably older than me out on bikes. There are bikes specifically made for people with disabilities.

Synthetic fuels isn’t an option currently and action is needed now if targets are to be met. Electric vehicles are expensive and the infrastructure to support widespread uptake isn’t in place. Combustion engined vehicles will be around for a good number of years, so initiatives to persuade people to use them less are a perfectly good way of addressing the issues.

I’d agree that pricing is a legitimate and effective way of managing demand, but it doesn’t address the issue of equity. Increasing costs significantly would disproportionately affect people on low incomes, so practically and politically it’s not that attractive to decision makers.

• Like 3

The congestion charge is wrong, and part of something bigger going on but the roads need to better cater for pedestrians and more action needs to be taken to keep cars out of pedestrians' spaces, such as pavemebrs. For example, I saw a car drive down the pedestrian ramp on Surrey Street on Monday and drive across the pedestrian crossing to get to Arundel Gate. Wholly unacceptable behaviour that should result in the driver being disqualified, fined and the car being destroyed. We need the enforcement officers fining for parking on pavements and using the money to invest in local projects. Ecclesall Road, for example needs another crossing in between Hunter's Bar and The Berkley Centre. It's a long stretch of busy road that people often want to cross. I am sure the owners of Cocoa Wonderland and Say Paloma would welcome better pedestrian connectivity. Furthermore, some of the cycle lanes are too wide and take up too much of the pavements. These Deliveroo drivers need clamping down on with their dangerous and obstructive parking. The new Highway Code needs better enforcing. Too many cars still ignore the rule to give way to pedestrians at junctions.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

The congestion charge is wrong, and part of something bigger going on but the roads need to better cater for pedestrians and more action needs to be taken to keep cars out of pedestrians' spaces, such as pavemebrs. For example, I saw a car drive down the pedestrian ramp on Surrey Street on Monday and drive across the pedestrian crossing to get to Arundel Gate. Wholly unacceptable behaviour that should result in the driver being disqualified, fined and the car being destroyed. We need the enforcement officers fining for parking on pavements and using the money to invest in local projects. Ecclesall Road, for example needs another crossing in between Hunter's Bar and The Berkley Centre. It's a long stretch of busy road that people often want to cross. I am sure the owners of Cocoa Wonderland and Say Paloma would welcome better pedestrian connectivity. Furthermore, some of the cycle lanes are too wide and take up too much of the pavements. These Deliveroo drivers need clamping down on with their dangerous and obstructive parking. The new Highway Code needs better enforcing. Too many cars still ignore the rule to give way to pedestrians at junctions.

Which ones?

I agree with most everything else you've said, apart from the "congestion charge"/CAZ.

And there's a pedestrian crossing between Berkeley Precinct and Hunter's Bar, at Nonna's.

Edited by Bargepole23

9 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

Blimey, a hundred or so words of Irene Swaine and I actually agree with most of it.

I'm not sure I know many cycle lanes which are 'too wide', quite the opposite, usually. Let's not lose sight of the real issue though which is re-balancing the overall share of carriageway so that we start to provide more pedestrian & cycling space where road space for cars is over-dominant.

And in terms of crossings on Ecclesall Road, once you get passed the Nonna's crossing, most of the north side of the road is very quiet in the sense that there isn't huge footfall needing to cross between Nonna's & Hunter's Bar. 

Otherwise, yeah, I agree. Can't stand the state of our roads for pedestrians these days, from pavement parking to poor crossing facilities, wide junctions, etc.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

We need the enforcement officers fining for parking on pavements and using the money to invest in local projects. 

Outside London, civil enforcement officers can currently only enforce pavement parking where there is a restriction in place that allows them to do so, like a double or single yellow line ( which applies to the whole of the highway ie road footpath and verge).

In London there is a blanket ban on pavement parking and the government have been talking about rolling out the powers to the rest of the country for several years, but have not taken any action.

• Like 1