Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

8 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

I know of a tradesman who actively avoids work in the city centre because of the CAZ rubbish. He can't be the only one.

That's his choice...but if I needed to work inside the CAZ and it was costing me extra money I'd pass it on to the customer....as every other business inside the zone does. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Meltman said:

That's his choice...but if I needed to work inside the CAZ and it was costing me extra money I'd pass it on to the customer....as every other business inside the zone does. 

Something for all businesses operating in the zones to consider, delivery costs higher, only so much can be passed on to the end consumer before they say enough and go elsewhere. And those in these new flats the council are pushing will struggle to get a workman with many avoiding it. Work men are very selective about work they take up these days anyway. My friend who lives outside of the "CAZ" zone can't get a workman to fix a leak around her window, not lucrative enough apparently. It will be even harder for anyone wanting an odd job doing in the "CAZ" zone.

21 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Another reason not to buy one of these "luxury" city centre apartments though.

15 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Something for all businesses operating in the zones to consider, delivery costs higher, only so much can be passed on to the end consumer before they say enough and go elsewhere. And those in these new flats the council are pushing will struggle to get a workman with many avoiding it. Work men are very selective about work they take up these days anyway. My friend who lives outside of the "CAZ" zone can't get a workman to fix a leak around her window, not lucrative enough apparently. It will be even harder for anyone wanting an odd job doing in the "CAZ" zone.

Your friends predicament had nothing to do with the CAZ. Tradesmen don't want piddling jobs like that. Been the case for a while now. 

7 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

There are several things that you have rolled into one prost here. Higher delivery costs within the zone....all business within the zone will be either passing the costs on to the customer or be using a suitable compliant vehicle. 

The new flats, council or private, won't have any trouble as the tennants will have to pay a maintenance charge built into the rent or have a contract clause in the purchase to cover maintenance. 

Your friend outside the zone can't get a workman....nothing to do with costs arising from zone, the workman is too busy elsewhere on more lucrative jobs to bother about about it. A lot of tradesmen don't want small jobs because they can't charge enough to travel and do the job.....people want things doing for next to nothing. 

On 25/11/2023 at 10:55, Planner1 said:

Standards improve over time and as we know more, we understand the impacts of how things have been done and what needs to be done to improve safety. It’s called progress. You may not like it, but that doesn’t mean it’s wrong.

This is nightmare speak to me, and it most definitely is not all an "improvement".

What you appear to be saying is confirmation of what we can all see to be happening, society is becoming more and more risk averse and will put up with more and more inconvenience, cost, regulation, restriction etc etc in order to "keep us safe", even if it is totally out of all proportion. Obviously what happened during Covid (for the first time in the history of the world) was the ultimate of that, but I do not think you will find many, if any, motorists who support temporary traffic lights for roadworks taking up no more room than a legally parked car.

On 25/11/2023 at 10:55, Planner1 said:

Just because you have a bee in your bonnet about temporary signals doesn’t mean that all national highway design standards are incorrect.

I didn't say they were all incorrect.

Edited by Chekhov

On 25/11/2023 at 11:52, Annie Bynnol said:

When you say "The fact is city air has never been cleaner, it is a non problem..." is either a deliberate attempt to mislead and misinform, in line with your "I am  obviously only going to publicise facts and figures which support my position and disparage stuff which does not" policy or a failure understand what you copy and paste.

You can easily correct your 'mistake' you make by adding:

"Trends in UK sulphur dioxide emissions 1970-2020 (source: UK National Atmospheric Emissions Inventory (NAEI))" explained in the text:

"Total emissions of sulphur dioxide (kilotonnes per annum) have declined dramatically since 1970, principally from the Energy Industries sector (which have been largely located outside of London)" and "...associated with the shift from solid fuel combustion to gas."

If you were not so "...very biased..." you could have  considered "Trends in Nitrogen Oxides (NOx) emissions 1970-2020 (source: NAEI)".  Traffic controls introduced in the 90's have eliminated the "...several smog episodes, primarily associated with NOx emissions from road traffic, occurred in London during calm, winter days during the 1990s (and coinciding with the peak years in road transport emissions." The NOx levels are still very high.

You could totally undermine your statement by reading the rest the report published by the office of the Mayor of London that you quote,

It is an undisputed fact that air in cities is cleaner than it has ever been, certainly for a century or two.

Are you arguing the point ?

Here's some more proof for you :

Figure03.jpg

On 25/11/2023 at 17:13, Irene Swaine said:

I know of a tradesman who actively avoids work in the city centre because of the CAZ rubbish. He can't be the only one.

This it true, I know of them too, and not just in the centre, travelling across the city now requires a big detour to avoid the zone, which is actually less environmentally sound.

Edited by Chekhov

Some of the conversations above make the same mistake people have been making about this scheme since it's inception; grossly overestimating the number of vehicles that would actually be subject to the charge.

It was already the case long before the scheme started that huge numbers of vehicles used by trades people already had modern engine types which were exempt from the charges. That number increases as fleets are naturally updated and replaced over time. Many people impacted took up Council schemes to fund new exempt vehicles, and most of those who did not simply adapted their businesses to manage the cost of the charges.

For every trades person who wouldn't accept a job in the city centre because of the charge there will be at least 1 other who is exempt and wouldn't have any issue accepting a job within the zone.

From it's inception as an idea to the day it commenced, public forums such as this one, The Star comment sections, etc. were full of nightmarish predictions of traffic/rat-running chaos and industry collapse as any business which used petrol would disappear overnight, not to mention it being the 'final nail in the coffin' for the city centre.

Whilst I don't deny an impact was felt by some businesses, for the vast majority absolutely none of those catastrophic impacts came to pass, and this thread - for example - went very, very quiet.

• Like 5