Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

8 hours ago, Planner1 said:

The government have only imposed them in places where air quality doesn’t meet legal requirements. 

Come on Mr Planner ,you and I know in most places around Sheffield City centre the air quality is absolutely within safe limits .it's only around Arundel Gate where all the diesel busses are stood idling their engines at bus stops and around Sheffield Train Station again largely due to the diesel trains stood in the station with their engines running.

This is just a way to extort money from the hard working people of Sheffield and you will never convince me otherwise.

Go and get on your bike and ride out somewhere.

11 hours ago, hackey lad said:

I thought some councils  don’t have them 

That is correct. Within Government set limits,  a Council can submit a plan as to how they are going to meet specific Government set targets. Before the Government releases the monet it has to approve the plan and require long term proof of delivery. The focus is on the benefit to the health of the population.

Every Sheffield resident, interested party and local and national business was asked to get involved- many like me did.

Two very local characteristics impacted the decision making:

• The geographical 'bowl' we live in that creates enormous pollution peaks during on the city centre during 'temperature inversions'.
  • The huge increase in the city centre population happening and proposed

As both of these factors are closely linked to vehicle emissions a CAZ was seen to be the best option.

If we all lived on the top of a hill, the solutions would be different.

14 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

That is correct. Within Government set limits,  a Council can submit a plan as to how they are going to meet specific Government set targets. Before the Government releases the monet it has to approve the plan and require long term proof of delivery. The focus is on the benefit to the health of the population.

Every Sheffield resident, interested party and local and national business was asked to get involved- many like me did.

Two very local characteristics impacted the decision making:

• The geographical 'bowl' we live in that creates enormous pollution peaks during on the city centre during 'temperature inversions'.
  • The huge increase in the city centre population happening and proposed

As both of these factors are closely linked to vehicle emissions a CAZ was seen to be the best option.

If we all lived on the top of a hill, the solutions would be different.

Okay Annie ,so why is it that the pollution levels in and around the city centre apart from the two pockets of pollution I've mentioned constantly measure within safe limits ?

37 minutes ago, mike1961 said:

Okay Annie ,so why is it that the pollution levels in and around the city centre apart from the two pockets of pollution I've mentioned constantly measure within safe limits ?

Like radioactivity there are no "... safe limits..." when it comes to many types of air pollution.  Any measurable level will cause harm so levels are set with the aim of constantly reducing the most harmful pollutants. The current levels used set by Governments are considered way to high by medics. Our Government has been told that they are breaking their own laws on the level they set.

Pollution levels are never constant and medically it is the peak levels that cause the real damage to health. As I said, in Sheffield these variations are greatly exaggerated by temperature inversions  can trap air for days the in whole city area which is in the 'bowl' i.e. up about 250m(820ft).

2 hours ago, mike1961 said:

Come on Mr Planner ,you and I know in most places around Sheffield City centre the air quality is absolutely within safe limits .it's only around Arundel Gate where all the diesel busses are stood idling their engines at bus stops and around Sheffield Train Station again largely due to the diesel trains stood in the station with their engines running.

This is just a way to extort money from the hard working people of Sheffield and you will never convince me otherwise.

Go and get on your bike and ride out somewhere.

Yeah your right about the locations here that don’t meet the required standard, but the government imposed the CAZ and you can’t deny it. The reason why they imposed the CAZ’s in this and several other cities can’t be argued with either.

So, how you can conclude that it’s just about getting money out of “hard working” people is beyond me. Does it only apply to hard working people, or do the slackers just deserve to pay? Just asking. 

What’s wrong? Got some more CAZ fines?

21 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Yeah your right about the locations here that don’t meet the required standard, but the government imposed the CAZ and you can’t deny it. The reason why they imposed the CAZ’s in this and several other cities can’t be argued with either.

So, how you can conclude that it’s just about getting money out of “hard working” people is beyond me. Does it only apply to hard working people, or do the slackers just deserve to pay? Just asking. 

What’s wrong? Got some more CAZ fines?

No I haven't had anymore fines thank you, the Caz charges are hitting many self employed businesses who employ people in the city.these are businesses that often can't afford to upgrade their vehicles and struggle day to day to keep going ,it's tax upon tax upon tax but then if your not self employed yourself you wouldn't understand that concept.

1 hour ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Like radioactivity there are no "... safe limits..." when it comes to many types of air pollution.  Any measurable level will cause harm so levels are set with the aim of constantly reducing the most harmful pollutants. The current levels used set by Governments are considered way to high by medics. Our Government has been told that they are breaking their own laws on the level they set.

Pollution levels are never constant and medically it is the peak levels that cause the real damage to health. As I said, in Sheffield these variations are greatly exaggerated by temperature inversions  can trap air for days the in whole city area which is in the 'bowl' i.e. up about 250m(820ft).

So Annie ,are you of the same mind as the Mayor of Sheffield that people are dying from pollution in our city ?.

1 minute ago, hackey lad said:

Some people on here have said that tradesmen should put the cost of the CAZ onto their price for the job . So an old woman in Hillsborough who doesn’t own a car and has never drove, who always uses a tradesman from Birley ,  has to pay for the CAZ  ?

If you have ever run a business - I have - you price your jobs so you don't lose out, and pass your costs on - otherwise you go out of business.

15 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Some people on here have said that tradesmen should put the cost of the CAZ onto their price for the job . So an old woman in Hillsborough who doesn’t own a car and has never drove, who always uses a tradesman from Birley ,  has to pay for the CAZ  ?

Yes unfortunately everyone ends up paying a contribution in one way or another towards the CAZ system.

Even if you don't drive yourself you'll still end up with a higher bill if the tradesmen's vehicle has to go through the Caz zone and his or her vehicle is non compliant.