Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

Guest busdriver1
12 minutes ago, fools said:

do satnavs know if the vehicle is being used for private use or business

some do, and some have the ability to avoid LEZs 

8 hours ago, fools said:

Hypocrisy: where is the evidence to backup your assertion that all owner operators can afford to upgrade their vehicles, with or without a piddling grant (more spaffing of public money)

Unlike the public sector, the private sector has to justify their expenditure, disposing a working vehicle before it's time is a ridiculous waste of money.

Would you care to point out where I said all owner operators can afford to upgrade their vehicles?

I’ll save you the trouble, I didn’t.

The public sector has to justify expenditure, just like the private sector.

4 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Would you care to point out where I said all owner operators can afford to upgrade their vehicles?

I’ll save you the trouble, I didn’t.

The public sector has to justify expenditure, just like the private sector.

The difference between public sector and private sector expenditure is public sector expenditure is not their hard earned money and therefore it's easier to justify spending it.

• Haha 1

On 13/01/2023 at 17:21, Planner1 said:

So, you know every owner operator and how much they can afford?

The grant isn’t means tested. If someone was offering me a grant of up to £16k and subsidised finance, I think I could be bothered to fill a few forms out.

This is what you call calling someone out:

"they were called out for saying that owner operators couldn’t afford compliant vehicles, when they admit that they had no proof that was the case. That is indeed a clear tactic to divert attention from the fact that they are spouting a load of twaddle that they can’t back up"

well it works both ways, where is your evidence that they are wrong, you don't have any do you, so you are spouting twaddle that you can't back up.

how much is a new coach or hgv vehicle do you think, upto 16k wouldn't touch the sides.

your comment about public expenditure having to be justified is laughable, a million spaffed on a report that got shelved remember? 600k on some burger skips.

how much shopping have you done by cargo bicycle in the last year.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mike1961 said:

The difference between public sector and private sector expenditure is public sector expenditure is not their hard earned money and therefore it's easier to justify spending it.

Actually, I don’t think it is easier to justify spending in the public sector, there is more scrutiny.

Expenditure in my area of work is closely scrutinised. It goes through the normal internal management and finance processes and also goes through internal governance boards, it is also often scrutinised at city region and national government level, because that is how the funding comes through.

Then there is political scrutiny. Any significant expenditure has to be signed off by politicians and can be called in to political scrutiny boards.

Then there’s public scrutiny too.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Actually, I don’t think it is easier to justify spending in the public sector, there is more scrutiny.

Expenditure in my area of work is closely scrutinised. It goes through the normal internal management and finance processes and also goes through internal governance boards, it is also often scrutinised at city region and national government level, because that is how the funding comes through.

Then there is political scrutiny. Any significant expenditure has to be signed off by politicians and can be called in to political scrutiny boards.

And yet it still in so many cases it invariably gets spent on nonsense 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

and the cost to go through all that is immense!

2 minutes ago, fools said:

This is what you call calling someone out:

"they were called out for saying that owner operators couldn’t afford compliant vehicles, when they admit that they had no proof that was the case. That is indeed a clear tactic to divert attention from the fact that they are spouting a load of twaddle that they can’t back up"

well it works both ways, where is your evidence that they are wrong, you don't have any do you, so you are spouting twaddle that you can't back up.

how much is a new coach or hgv vehicle do you think, upto 16k wouldn't touch the sides.

your comment about public expenditure having to be justified is laughable, a million spaffed on a report that got shelved remember? 600k on some burger skips.

how much shopping have you done by cargo bicycle in the last year.

I don’t make any such claims when I don’t have the data.

Thats why I pointed out to that poster that they were making a sweeping statement that they couldn’t back up with evidence.

The up to  £16k grant is supposed to help with the cost of replacing or upgrading a vehicle. It is not there to meet the full cost of a new one. You can always argue that grants like that should be bigger, but the decisions on how much money is available are made by the government. Councils like Sheffield just get to administer the distribution.

So does the private sector always get it 100% right? Are business decisions never made to shelve or abandon private sector projects that are large and expensive?

What is the relevance of my use of cargo bikes? 

16 minutes ago, mike1961 said:

And yet it still in so many cases it invariably gets spent on nonsense 

The problem is that councils deliver such a wide range of services, projects and initiatives, it is inevitable that some of them won’t please everyone.

There are lots of opinions out there and those who aren’t happy about something the council or other government organisation spend money on often label it as being a “waste” of money.

One person’s waste of money could be another person’s highest spending priority.

19 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

and the cost to go through all that is immense!

Well, it all has a cost and it takes time too.

It’s all there because the public want transparency and accountability. It has a cost.

17 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

I don’t make any such claims when I don’t have the data.

Thats why I pointed out to that poster that they were making a sweeping statement that they couldn’t back up with evidence.

The up to  £16k grant is supposed to help with the cost of replacing or upgrading a vehicle. It is not there to meet the full cost of a new one. You can always argue that grants like that should be bigger, but the decisions on how much money is available are made by the government. Councils like Sheffield just get to administer the distribution.

So does the private sector always get it 100% right? Are business decisions never made to shelve or abandon private sector projects that are large and expensive?

What is the relevance of my use of cargo bikes? 

Oh but you did, you claimed he was spouting twaddle, without any data to substantiate that claim.

your lack of use of cargo bikes, like your lack of use of car parks is very relevant, when you come on here lecturing and claiming that cycling around up hills and shopping by bike is easy, and parking is cheap, when it seems you do neither.

and then there's the  "Get a van that’s compliant. Pretty simple" comment.

cliche’s like “ivory towers etc” are not cliche's are they.

Edited by fools
  • Like 1