Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

1 minute ago, fools said:

Oh but you did, you claimed he was spouting twaddle, without any data to substantiate that claim.

I challenged their assertion and they admitted that they did not actually have that information.

Therefore I’d say that my assertion that they are spouting twaddle is proven by their own admission.

Just now, Planner1 said:

I challenged their assertion and they admitted that they did not actually have that information.

Therefore I’d say that my assertion that they are spouting twaddle is proven by their own admission.

well I am challenging your assertion, and it seems you don't actually have that information.

8 minutes ago, fools said:

your lack of use of cargo bikes, like your lack of use of car parks is very relevant, when you come on here lecturing about cycling around up hills and shopping by bike is easy, and parking is cheap, when it seems you do neither.

and then there's the  "Get a van that’s compliant. Pretty simple" comment.

cliche’s like “ivory towers etc” are not cliche's are they.

Where have I mentioned  anything about how much or little I use cargo bikes?

Whether or not to use a car park, on street paid parking or park elsewhere for free and walk a bit further is a personal choice. I exercise the most appropriate choices for me. Those won’t be the best choices for everyone and I never make any such assertions. I do point out relevant facts like the amount of parking available and how much it costs compared to other places. You may think that’s lecturing and you’re entitled to your opinion. I think of it as stating  relevant facts and fostering a better informed debate. 

The point about getting a compliant van was a relevant response to the question asked.

10 minutes ago, fools said:

well I am challenging your assertion, and it seems you don't actually have that information.

Like I said, the person I challenged admitted they did not know whether the assertion they made was actually true.

My point is therefore proven.

You may have a view on whether or not that constitutes spouting twaddle and you’re entitled to it. 

2 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Where have I mentioned  anything about how much or little I use cargo bikes?

you chose not to answer the question, the opportunity is still open.

I don't think the general public need to be informed repeatedly that bikes exist or car parks exist, or car parks exist elsewhere and may or may not be more expensive. This is not a primary school class.

3 hours ago, ab6262 said:

there are many routes and all of them will make congestion and air quality worse.

When changes on this scale are introduced, there will be consequences. Everyone understands that.

The CAZ’s are a very specific response to a specific issue ( illegally high nitrogen dioxide levels) in very specific locations (city centres). 

The government has instructed local councils to introduce them because they have been forced to act by the courts and do so as rapidly as possible.

Everyone involved understands very well that some non compliant vehicles will divert away from chargeable routes and they will add to existing traffic levels and may cause local issues. Local councils may have to introduce improvements or changes at locations where problems occur. They know this and so does the government.

I think that in an ideal world, a more holistic solution might have been preferable. But we aren’t in an ideal world. The government want to avoid being prosecuted, they need to be seen to act rapidly and decisively and the councils have to do what the government tells them or face the prospect of having huge multi million pound fines passported to them by the government. 

Not an ideal situation all round, but we all just have to get on with it and deal with the consequences as they arise. 

They have had a CAZ in Bath for almost 2 years. They publish quite a bit of data on it. The latest quarterly report is here

They are currently investigating 17 locations where traffic problems have been reported that may involve displaced traffic.

The actual amount of displaced traffic may not actually be as much as some here may think.

Bath report that well over 90% of buses/coaches, taxis and HGV’s and 80% of vans using their zone are now compliant and they haven’t seen any significant drop in volumes of traffic entering the zone. ( their CAZ exempts cars, like the one here will).

Their results might give an indication of how things may go here. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fools said:

I don't think the general public need to be informed repeatedly that bikes exist or car parks exist, or car parks exist elsewhere and may or may not be more expensive. This is not a primary school class.

Well I see enough posts on here to tell me the opposite.

Many people appear to post from a position of little or no knowledge of the subject. I don’t mind posting some factual information that folk might find useful and I think that hearing other viewpoints stimulates a more healthy and informed debate.

• Like 1

On 13/01/2023 at 17:21, Planner1 said:

Interesting that you come on here and spout negativity about things you clearly know very little about.

16 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

I think that hearing other viewpoints stimulates a more healthy and informed debate.

:)

5 hours ago, Planner1 said:

The problem is that councils deliver such a wide range of services, projects and initiatives, it is inevitable that some of them won’t please everyone.

There are lots of opinions out there and those who aren’t happy about something the council or other government organisation spend money on often label it as being a “waste” of money.

One person’s waste of money could be another person’s highest spending priority.

Well, it all has a cost and it takes time too.

It’s all there because the public want transparency and accountability. It has a cost.

The containers on fargate fiasco and the demolition of Don Valley Stadium are just two prime examples of complete and utter waste of public funds ,and you wonder why people get upset and angry with SCC ,

• Like 2