Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

7 hours ago, wendyG said:

How dos charging a fee make any difference to air quality? It's all about lining Clowncils pockets with £££££

Hic!

I mean, imagine if charging for something would put people off entering in the first place. Dont think you really thought this one through.

Edited by HeHasRisen

An honest working man who a) would have plenty of notice about the zone, b) would have seen numerous signs about the zone, c) would have been offered financial assistance to buy a compliant vehicle but I assume couldnt be arsed doing so, and d) after all that chose to drive in the zone anyway and didnt pay the much cheaper rate on the day.

Boo hoo.

If he cant see signs I suggest he goes for his eyes tested.

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

An honest working man who a) would have plenty of notice about the zone, b) would have seen numerous signs about the zone, c) would have been offered financial assistance to buy a compliant vehicle but I assume couldnt be arsed doing so, and d) after all that chose to drive in the zone anyway and didnt pay the much cheaper rate on the day.

Boo hoo.

If he cant see signs I suggest he goes for his eyes tested.

So you agree with all this caz  bull s..t then ?

22 minutes ago, jonnythefox said:

So you agree with all this caz  bull s..t then ?

I couldnt give a shiny one, truth be told.

Nothing I typed above is a lie. He had ample opportunity to deal with it and now he finds himself with a £60 bill. Boo fekkin hoo.

I dont agree with how much my council tax costs, I still have to begrudgingly pay it.

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, HumbleNarrator said:

So as long as you're prepared to pay you're free to polute at will? ...got it.

Seemingly so.

Good luck to your mate in the Youtube video with his little protest. Probably sail over the 300 quid mark with a CCJ to boot once its finished.

Edited by HeHasRisen

Actually I think it's wrong to fine people for the initial non-payment. If someone fails to pay their LEZ/congestion/whatever charge within 24 hours, it's exceedingly likely that they just forgot to pay (or maybe didn't see the sign). You're fining someone for doing something (entering a LEZ) which they are explicitly allowed to do. It's not a banned behaviour like passing a no-entry sign.

What should happen is if someone fails to pay within 24H, a letter is sent to the keeper pointing out they forgot to pay, but with a suitable admin charge (£5 say) added on to cover the costs of accessing the DVLA database and sending the letter. Obviously if the driver/keeper continually refuses to pay, then the charges should escalate and eventually fines be imposed.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, dave_the_m said:

Actually I think it's wrong to fine people for the initial non-payment. If someone fails to pay their LEZ/congestion/whatever charge within 24 hours, it's exceedingly likely that they just forgot to pay (or maybe didn't see the sign). You're fining someone for doing something (entering a LEZ) which they are explicitly allowed to do. It's not a banned behaviour like passing a no-entry sign.

What should happen is if someone fails to pay within 24H, a letter is sent to the keeper pointing out they forgot to pay, but with a suitable admin charge (£5 say) added on to cover the costs of accessing the DVLA database and sending the letter. Obviously if the driver/keeper continually refuses to pay, then the charges should escalate and eventually fines be imposed.

Its exactly the same as crossing the Dartford Bridge or using the Tyne Tunnel, there are no toll booths anymore, however there are numerous signs saying either go online to pay etc etc within the next 2 days. If you dont do it, wallop.

Not seeing the signs isnt a valid excuse tbh, and if it is maybe people shouldn't be driving. I drove down Abbeydale Rd this week and noticed numerous signs were up already. 

We have no idea what leeway will be given in the Sheffield scheme to begin with, if any. Nor do I know if any was given in the Bath scheme.

People using the zone since the start of this month have been getting letters to warn them of the upcoming changes, too.

Edited by HeHasRisen

12 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Its exactly the same as crossing the Dartford Bridge or using the Tyne Tunnel, there are no toll booths anymore, however there are numerous signs saying either go online to pay etc etc within the next 2 days. If you dont do it, wallop.

And for the same reason, I don't think people should be fined for forgetting to pay a road/bridge/tunnel toll. Fines are supposed to be to punish you for forbidden behaviour, not for being late to pay an invoice, especially when you haven't even received an invoice yet.

4 minutes ago, dave_the_m said:

And for the same reason, I don't think people should be fined for forgetting to pay a road/bridge/tunnel toll. Fines are supposed to be to punish you for forbidden behaviour, not for being late to pay an invoice, especially when you haven't even received an invoice yet.

Fair enough. I disagree though, being able to read signs is an integral part of, you know, driving.

If you cant do that then I have no issue with peoples stupidity being exploited for money.