Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

The signs for this have gone up but I'm not convinced by them. I drove up Abbeydale Road and London Road this morning and on Abbeydale Road there was a sign saying the zone was 3/4 mile away, and then towards the bottom of London Road, I'm sure there was another one that said it was 3 miles away, which would put it somewhere out by Meadowhall. Anybody else spotted this?

34 minutes ago, metalman said:

The signs for this have gone up but I'm not convinced by them. I drove up Abbeydale Road and London Road this morning and on Abbeydale Road there was a sign saying the zone was 3/4 mile away, and then towards the bottom of London Road, I'm sure there was another one that said it was 3 miles away, which would put it somewhere out by Meadowhall. Anybody else spotted this?

Yes I mentioned the 3 mile one a few pages back, have reported it as an obvious error.

22 hours ago, AndrewC said:

@dave_the_m 

Deterrence works both ways - it can make sure people don't do something in the first place (ideally), but in the event it doesn't do that, it encourages people not to commit the same error a second time. Admit it, if you did get stung with this '£60' fine, you won't forget next time, will you?

The deterrent (in the case of a LEZ) is the fee for entering the zone - to discourage people from entering with high emissions vehicles and/or encouraging people to switch to less polluting vehicles.

Whether someone pays within 24H, or pays a week or two later after receiving a reminder (with a £5 admin fee tacked on) makes absolutely no difference to the running of the LEZ. Why not give the people the choice to pay within 24H, or pay it a bit later for an extra £5? What exact societal good is being served by the state imposing a  £60 "didn't pay within 24H "penalty?

Seriously, I don't get this deterrent argument at all.

Could you give me a single clear hypothetical  example of where not charging an initial £60 (but still with penalties and courts further down the line) would weaken the LEZ (or toll scheme, or whatever)?

I mean yes,  I can see that it's a deterrent against not paying within 24H,  but my point is that not paying within 24H isn't something that actually needs deterring anyway, so why deter it?

21 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Can someone give me a clear definition of where the Sheffield congestion charge starts and finishes (within and including the inner ring road), who it applies to (Vans made before 2016ish, buses made before 2016ish, lorries made before 2016ish, it does NOT apply to private cars but it does to taxis that dont meet the emission standards, again before 2016ish), what the charge is (depends on the vehicle, ranges between a tenner and fifty quid), and what the fine is if you fall foul of it? (£60 if not paid within a week, doubles if you delay it further)

Answers in red above. Website explains all the above in more detail...

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/campaigns/clean-air-zone-sheffield

Edited by HeHasRisen

12 minutes ago, jonnythefox said:

So we have mot tests which include emission tests if the vehicle passes both tests then it is road legal so what gives Sheffield council the right to scam motorists out of a tenner a day to drive on the ring road. 

Paying £10 makes the air cleaner.

12 minutes ago, jonnythefox said:

So we have mot tests which include emission tests if the vehicle passes both tests then it is road legal so what gives Sheffield council the right to scam motorists out of a tenner a day to drive on the ring road. 

An act of Parliament, I believe. Complain to your MP.

Sheffield’s clean air zone will go-live from Monday 27 February 2023.

This is a class C chargeable zone for the most polluting heavy goods vehicles (HGVs), light goods vehicles (LGVs), vans, buses, coaches and taxi’s that drive within the inner ring road and city centre.

Private cars and motorbikes will not be charged. .... .

Yet!

But they will. Its just a matter of time