Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

1 hour ago, mike1961 said:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1801903783494447/permalink/1963369517347872/?sfnsn=scwspmo&ref=share

The above is a link to a post on Facebook that shows the air quality in Sheffield city centre is good,so why are we having this CAZ Zone imposed on us.

MONEY and control that's why !!!

Govt imposed since the figures were over the limit and Sheffield are just tugging their forelocks and bending over despite the air now been clean except for in areas that never will go below the 40mg limit

Leeds got it revoked, Manchester have delayed theirs, Sheffield is currently on its back getting its belly rubbed

13 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

Govt imposed since the figures were over the limit and Sheffield are just tugging their forelocks and bending over despite the air now been clean except for in areas that never will go below the 40mg limit

Leeds got it revoked, Manchester have delayed theirs, Sheffield is currently on its back getting its belly rubbed

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Leeds didn’t proceed because they achieved legal compliance before the charging zone was implemented. Sheffield hasn’t.

46 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Leeds didn’t proceed because they achieved legal compliance before the charging zone was implemented. Sheffield hasn’t.

Sheffield never will comply due to the monitoring stations outside the train station and you know that. 

Leeds on the other hand scrapped their scheme due to the threats of legal challenges as its air quality was recorded below the limit in 2020, which was the end of the period of lock down where the air had realistically been cleaned due to lack of use on the roads. Even the Leeds council report cites the lockdown as a reason for the air being under the limit. You would see in the report though that the main street in Leeds is still over 40 yet their scheme was scrapped.

https://www.leeds.gov.uk/clean-air/air-quality-annual-report

And if you want to use Leeds as an example their scheme was due to start in Jan 2020 but got delayed until October 2020 before it was scrapped.

I would suggest that some clever lawyers are already looking at the areas that are clean around the top of the city and getting a case ready. 

Manchester knew they wouldn't hit their limit before 2024 and requested additional time to bring down the levels within the proposed zone. This was granted up to 2026 so why hasn't Sheffield followed suit and requested more time as the records show a decline in pollution over the last 3 years?

Looks like its working well in Birmingham too

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/more-30000-motorists-month-refusing-26108664?fbclid=IwAR042RaaumNGu6yJPfdSAXwXxm9bN4RrmtiD4fE0uHFjLF0svPDfXlzOoIM#ldjwl7i7smtu3o8vo5

Edited by sheffbag

1 hour ago, sheffbag said:

Sheffield never will comply due to the monitoring stations outside the train station and you know that. 

Leeds on the other hand scrapped their scheme due to the threats of legal challenges as its air quality was recorded below the limit in 2020, which was the end of the period of lock down where the air had realistically been cleaned due to lack of use on the roads. Even the Leeds council report cites the lockdown as a reason for the air being under the limit. You would see in the report though that the main street in Leeds is still over 40 yet their scheme was scrapped.

https://www.leeds.gov.uk/clean-air/air-quality-annual-report

And if you want to use Leeds as an example their scheme was due to start in Jan 2020 but got delayed until October 2020 before it was scrapped.

I would suggest that some clever lawyers are already looking at the areas that are clean around the top of the city and getting a case ready. 

Manchester knew they wouldn't hit their limit before 2024 and requested additional time to bring down the levels within the proposed zone. This was granted up to 2026 so why hasn't Sheffield followed suit and requested more time as the records show a decline in pollution over the last 3 years?

Looks like its working well in Birmingham too

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/more-30000-motorists-month-refusing-26108664?fbclid=IwAR042RaaumNGu6yJPfdSAXwXxm9bN4RrmtiD4fE0uHFjLF0svPDfXlzOoIM#ldjwl7i7smtu3o8vo5

Calling them monitoring stations is a bit misleading. The ones near the station are diffusion tubes, which is a small glass tube mounted on a lamp post or similar. 

Leeds are doing a lot of work on cutting out through traffic in their city centre, which will undoubtedly improve matters.

Birmingham’s zone includes charging cars, so a lot more vehicles are involved. As far as I’m aware it is the same enforcement process as a parking or bus lane fine, so those who don’t pay can end up with a visit from bailiffs and paying much higher costs.

45 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Calling them monitoring stations is a bit misleading. The ones near the station are diffusion tubes, which is a small glass tube mounted on a lamp post or similar. 

Leeds are doing a lot of work on cutting out through traffic in their city centre, which will undoubtedly improve matters.

Birmingham’s zone includes charging cars, so a lot more vehicles are involved. As far as I’m aware it is the same enforcement process as a parking or bus lane fine, so those who don’t pay can end up with a visit from bailiffs and paying much higher costs.

are they not the units, call them what you will, that are being used to provide the data to substantiate the CAZ? the name of them isnt important, they are monitoring the air quality at that point and the results from them are the reason why Sheffield is having the CAZ imposed

• Like 1