Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

9 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

The government didn't tell them that they have to include the inner ring road.

Inner ring roads are an idea to attract the majority of traffic onto them, so that traffic elsewhere will be lighter.

This does the opposite.

The government told them to introduce a CAZ that brings the levels within the legal limits. 

Cars are exempt. They don’t need to divert. How much of the other traffic do you think will be diverting elsewhere? 

8 minutes ago, Meltman said:

Page 1 of the excuses book. It's not Sheffield Council that is doing this It's the government. 

So are you saying the government aren’t imposing the CAZ’s on local authorities?

Just now, Planner1 said:

The government told them to introduce a CAZ that brings the levels within the legal limits. 

Cars are exempt. They don’t need to divert. How much of the other traffic do you think will be diverting elsewhere? 

My bold.

For how long? 

4 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

My bold.

For how long? 

No one will ever give you a definitive answer as you well know, because they can’t absolutely guarantee that what’s being put in place will be effective and won’t want to categorically rule anything out of it doesn’t achieve legal compliance.

I am not aware of any plan at all to include cars here. Those places ( like Birmingham)  that felt it necessary to include cars did so.

People often look for conspiracies that simply aren’t there.

30 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

My bold.

For how long? 

Exactly.

We have all known that from the beginning.

"I am not aware of any plans"  or "There are no plans at this time"

We have heard it all before.

35 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

So are you saying the government aren’t imposing the CAZ’s on local authorities?

No I'm not saying that but I don't see you or anyone else saying that the council are trying to exclude the inner ring road from the zone. It's common knowledge that for ages now Sheffield council don't want private traffic in the city centre and including the IRR is part of the master plan. It would have been more acceptable if the council had been seen to put up some defence to not include the IRR rather than accept it without question. 

34 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

No one will ever give you a definitive answer as you well know, because they can’t absolutely guarantee that what’s being put in place will be effective and won’t want to categorically rule anything out of it doesn’t achieve legal compliance.

I am not aware of any plan at all to include cars here. Those places ( like Birmingham)  that felt it necessary to include cars did so.

People often look for conspiracies that simply aren’t there.

My bold 

Who are you to tell me what I know.

Arrogant much?🙄

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Meltman said:

No I'm not saying that but I don't see you or anyone else saying that the council are trying to exclude the inner ring road from the zone. It's common knowledge that for ages now Sheffield council don't want private traffic in the city centre and including the IRR is part of the master plan. It would have been more acceptable if the council had been seen to put up some defence to not include the IRR rather than accept it without question. 

If they don’t want “private traffic” in the city centre, how come they’ve given consent to build multi storey car parks there?

They don’t want through traffic in the city centre, which is generally accepted as being a good thing if you want the city centre to be more people friendly.

Many cities are doing the same things as SCC have done here to stop through traffic going through the city centre. You can access by car anything in the city centre that you’d need to. Leeds and Bradford are in the process of doing exactly the same, as are Manchester. 

As I said earlier, the Council have had to build a business case for the CAZ. That would have included the available options options on coverage and what type of CAZ is needed. 

14 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

My bold 

Who are you to tell me what I know.

Arrogant much?🙄

No reasonable person would expect the decision makers to give categoric assurances on something that they know that they might have to implement in future. And I’m sure you are a reasonable person…….

• Like 1