Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

1 hour ago, mike1961 said:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1801903783494447/permalink/1965097007175123/?sfnsn=scwspmo&ref=share

The above is a link to a radio interview this morning on Radio Sheffield,listen to Toby Foster make mincemeat out of the council representative.

Not sure I’d agree he “made mincemeat” of the committee chair. He asked her some difficult questions and didn’t like the answers. 

There were some interesting points that came out of the discussion though:

• the council have asked the government to rescind the instruction to implement the CAZ
  • government have refused as the directive had already been issued ( which it hadn’t in the other places which have been mentioned )
  • government have threatened to send in their inspectors to implement the CAZ if SCC don’t 

Toby was making a point about why have we got local politicians if we are going to cow-tow to the government on something like this which is almost universally unpopular here.

I think he’s rather ignoring the potential ramifications of not carrying out the government’s instructions.

No local politician is going to want government inspectors coming in to essentially run the council because the local politicians have been found wanting. If the CAZ isn’t implemented as soon as possible or is seen to be deficient by the courts, huge fines can be imposed on the government which will be passported direct to the council. 

If councillors knowingly do something ( or don’t) that puts the council at financial risk, they can be held to account personally. That’s not a risk people should take lightly.

I’d expect the council have taken legal advice on their options for challenging the directive and their chances of winning.

10 minutes ago, mike1961 said:

This clowncil needs to go ASAP ,I have never voted labour or greens .it would good if they got investigated to find out where all the funds are miss appropriated too.

What funds? Havent about 100 of your mates on that FB group put in FOI requests to ask the same question about where the money from this scheme is going ?

An answer which is already in the public domain, btw.

By the way, if it was a Lib Dem or Tory council this clean air zone would still be happening.

Edited by HeHasRisen

23 hours ago, mike1961 said:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1801903783494447/permalink/1964454277239396/?sfnsn=scwspmo&ref=share

The above link to a Facebook page gives full details if the protest march this coming Saturday at 12 midday. 04/02/2022.

If you don't agree with this planned CAZ charge please do all you can to be there on the day.

Your support is needed now more than ever,let's get this nonsense stopped.

pointless as 'private' cars are exempt from the CAZ, First busses are all compliant... 

and cars registered after 2015 are all except as they meet Euro6 standards.....

if your car was prior to 2015, but meets Euro6 standard, it is also exempt...

3 minutes ago, Ghozer said:

pointless as 'private' cars are exempt from the CAZ, First busses are all compliant... 

He knows all this, he also ignores reason like they had to bring it in.

I'm waiting for him to say a Tory or a Lib Dem council wouldnt have done it, so I can issue my checkmate post.

1 hour ago, Ghozer said:

No problem mate just don't come on Saturday but bear in mind many small businesses despite the grants available do not have bottomless pockets like First Mainline buses have.

Many small businesses are struggling to keep going with ever increasing costs being forced upon them at the moment.

3 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

What funds? Havent about 100 of your mates on that FB group put in FOI requests to ask the same question about where the money from this scheme is going ?

An answer which is already in the public domain, btw.

By the way, if it was a Lib Dem or Tory council this clean air zone would still be happening.

I'm not just talking about funds being used for the CAZ Zone ,I'm talking about all the other nonsense that SCC have wasted public money on.

8 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Ah so you are windmilling now. Fair enough.

Newsflash: all local authorities "waste money" according to some people. No matter who you vote in. 

So that makes it acceptable then does it ,SCC have dropped some real clangers over the years.

24 minutes ago, mike1961 said:

So that makes it acceptable then does it ,SCC have dropped some real clangers over the years.

Did they invest 18 million quid in an energy company that went bust?

See, plenty of them are "at it".

Anyway this is all a neat diversion. They arent going to change their minds at 4 weeks notice so are you planning to pay the first CAZ fee online or will you find another way?

Edited by HeHasRisen

7 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Did they invest 18 million quid in an energy company that went bust?

See, plenty of them are "at it".

Anyway this is all a neat diversion. They arent going to change their minds at 4 weeks notice so are you planning to pay the first CAZ fee online or will you find another way?

We will see