Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

I remember  about a month/6Weeks ago Radio Sheffield had a person from one of the Sheffield Clean Air projects come on to talk about the scheme and his thoughts was that it wasnt needed as Sheffield had improved its air quality already to below the limits set out (40) that it was required to hit. If the clean air people are saying its not needed then why arent the council going back to the govt and saying they have already hit the target?

Even looking at the 2021 results the only are in the centre over 40 is the train station (not surprising but SCC wont be charging trains) and the interchange where multiple buses are stood emitting fumes. 

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/pollution-nuisance/air-quality (you want the tube results excel file on the right hand side)

2 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Most cities built inner and outer ring roads from the 1960’s onwards. Governments encouraged the building of roads. I remember working on Sheffield Inner Ring Road construction back in the 1970’s. 

Significant parts of the inner ring road have only been completed in the last 20 years. 

Say what you want, people want to use their cars, and particularly with the price, the unreliability, and the poor service frequency of public transport who can blame them ?  All that will happen is they will use the back roads. Basically this is a battle where the government are trying to force the majority to do stuff they don't want to do, and, bearing the last few years in mind, there's a bit of a trend here isn't there !

If the government, or anyone else, wants people to use their cars less they should be more carrot (cheaper and better public transport) and less stick.

Edited by Chekhov

8 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Nope, external appointments by and large. 

Interesting that the complaint you often hear from long standing internal employees is that they don’t get the opportunity to go up the ladder as senior / management posts are often filled externally.

If that is truly your perception of how it works, I can tell you you’re wrong and most people who work there will tell you the same ( certainly in the areas I worked in). 

Hmmm... :huh:

Well isn't that just what I've been saying?

If I was being particularly argumentative...
... I could say that maybe one reason that management posts are being filled externally IS because the 'long standing internal employees' ARE incompetent. :roll:

But I'm not...
... so Merry Christmas, Mr Planner! :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Significant parts of the inner ring road have only been completed in the last 20 years. 

Say what you want, people want to use their cars, and particularly with the price, the unreliability, and the poor service frequency of public transport who can blame them ?  All that will happen is they will use the back roads.

I mean, lets all have this discussion if cars ever get included (they arent yet, no matter how many times you tell the morons on FB and Twitter). At the moment its just extreme whataboutery.

9 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I mean, lets all have this discussion if cars ever get included (they arent yet, no matter how many times you tell the morons on FB and Twitter). At the moment its just extreme whataboutery.

I don't suppose there's any point in reminding everyone that you were also the 'sole voice of positivity' regarding the shipping container fiasco, Mr Risen? :hihi:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

I don't suppose there's any point in reminding everyone that you were also the 'sole voice of positivity' regarding the shipping container fiasco, Mr Risen? :hihi:

Dont think I was tbh, others said the idea was good. Thats where it all stopped working, mind.

Lets all come back in a few years when cars are or arent included, and we can see who looks the most ridiculous . As already said the pollution levels are already reduced so in theory the scheme in Feb shouldn't even be happening, let alone an extension to it.

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Can we have the stats just for older buses, please? If not, your point is moot.

It isn't moot, it's  a rerun of the no more opening windows of trains saga. Bearing in mind all edicts have  a cost somewhere along the line, if hardly anyone is getting killed doing something why bother doing anything about it ?

But in any case, I do not see why the age of the bus would make a particularly significant difference to the likelihood anyone will get killed on it, bearing on mind all busses have to get tested for safety (brakes, suspension, corrosion etc) every year anyway. 

21 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

I remember  about a month/6Weeks ago Radio Sheffield had a person from one of the Sheffield Clean Air projects come on to talk about the scheme and his thoughts was that it wasnt needed as Sheffield had improved its air quality already to below the limits set out (40) that it was required to hit. If the clean air people are saying its not needed then why arent the council going back to the govt and saying they have already hit the target?

Even looking at the 2021 results the only are in the centre over 40 is the train station (not surprising but SCC wont be charging trains) and the interchange where multiple buses are stood emitting fumes. 

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/pollution-nuisance/air-quality (you want the tube results excel file on the right hand side)

No no no no. No. Pollution is getting worse so they will 100% include cars in this soon, people on here said so.

14 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I don't think so, I think it's inevitable. Look at London....

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

No no no no. No. Pollution is getting worse so they will 100% include cars in this soon, people on here said so.

And they're probably right, see above.

2 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I don't think so, I think it's inevitable. Look at London....

And they're probably right, see above.

Lets all return if that happens then, I will get outraged about it then.

I dont drive a bus, or a lorry, or take Hackney cabs anyway, so I am not prepared to get outraged now.

As for London, only an idiot drives into central London and my car is compliant for the outer zone.

Edited by HeHasRisen