Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

1 minute ago, Anna B said:

Of course a directive can be reversed

So you are accusing the woman on the radio of lying then?

Absolutely no idea why they didnt get one issued, assume cities were at different stages of the process. 

The rest of your post is mostly nonsence, I can only assume you have never tried to drive around any other major city in the UK in your life, ever.

Edited by HeHasRisen

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

The rest of your post is mostly nonsence, I can only assume you have never tried to drive around any other major city in the UK in your life, ever.

The council admitted planning (and carrying out that plan) to "funnel" drivers off the road years ago, and it was featured in The Star. 

1 minute ago, blackydog said:

The council admitted planning (and carrying out that plan) to "funnel" drivers off the road years ago, and it was featured in The Star. 

Seems fair enough, the road network cant handle the increased numbers of vehicles. Do you want a free for all? 

Its an issue all urban areas have to deal with.

Edited by HeHasRisen

7 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Seems fair enough, the road network cant handle the increased numbers of vehicles. Do you want a free for all? 

Its an issue all urban areas have to deal with.

When was it ever a free for all? 

I was a BT engineer working in the city centre back then with a job to do. The plan was to cause queueing, to p*ss drivers off in an attempt to encourage them not drive around Sheffield city centre. Cars and busses stood with engines running at low speed, causing huge amounts of pollution and wasted fuel.

My argument is that traffic that has to enter the city centre, should be enabled to move safely and freely, park easily, get the job done, get out.

Of course the council top brass still kept their free parking spaces at the town hall. Fair? ok.

28 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I did go and read it and i've listened to the interview and yes i am accusing her of lying or at the very least not telling the full truth.

"its clear there are pockets of not clean air" - Those pockets are outside the most polluting part of the city that SCC or the Government cant do anything about by imposing a CAZ

"once the government does a mandate it cannot be reversed"

It was interesting she chose Leeds and not Manchester for her argument 

In February 2022, government withdrew the legal direction requiring the Greater Manchester local authorities to implement a charging category C Clean Air Zone which would have gone live for some vehicles from May 2022.

(my bold) https://cleanairgm.com/faqs/

"The government told us where we had to put it"

https://democracy.sheffield.gov.uk/documents/s33102/Clean Air for Sheffield - Final.pdf

There are the papers outlining the Councils proposal. 

"Based on the evidence of the places that are in breach of the legal limits now and in 2021, it is proposed that the Sheffield CAZ will cover the area bounded by the inner ringroad. The inner ringroad itself would be included in the CAZ and therefore non-compliant buses, coaches, taxis (London-style hackneys and private hire), HGVs and LGVs would be charged a daily rate for entering and moving within the zone." (section 35)

The council selected the inner ring road, not the government

Edited by sheffbag
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Ideally the next year or so then will prove beyond all reasonable doubt that the levels near the station are being caused by non-road vehicles, and it gives further clout to the electrification of the MML. 

Keeping a whole zone in place due to one  monitoring station outside the control of road vehicles would be absolute stupidity.

Can national and local government charge diesel trains for entering a clear air zone?

The problem with that is that it isn't possible to prove where the nitrogen dioxide has come from.

As I understand it, the monitoring in a CAZ has to stay completely below the legal limit for three full years before the area can be deemed fully compliant.

I don't believe the trains at the station are within the CAZ, the boundary is Sheaf St as far as I can see. The CAZ relates to road vehicles only.

1 minute ago, Planner1 said:

I don't believe the trains at the station are within the CAZ, the boundary is Sheaf St as far as I can see. The CAZ relates to road vehicles only.

OK, in theory could the zone just be the area around the train station and then EMT/Northern/TPE/CrossCountry could then be charged for bringing diesel trains through the area?

If not, why?

Edited by HeHasRisen

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

Anna B said it was, surely she wasnt lying?

Also, where are all these Town Hall parking spaces?

I didn't see @AnnaB post. Driving anywhere is not a free for all and never has been. There have always been restrictions and sensible ones are welcome.

As regards town hall staff having free parking spaces, whilst attempting to drive everyone off the road, it was reported at the time. Probably The Star, I'll try and find a link but it was a long time ago. 

1 minute ago, blackydog said:

As regards town hall staff having free parking spaces, whilst attempting to drive everyone off the road, it was reported at the time. Probably The Star, I'll try and find a link but it was a long time ago. 

Probably in the local multi stories then, the way you worded it came across that the Town Hall had loads of free parking.

But yes, Anna B has claimed on this very forum that you once could have parked anywhere in Sheffield, for as long as you liked. Clearly a load of b0llox.

Edited by HeHasRisen