Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

14 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

The problem with that is that it isn't possible to prove where the nitrogen dioxide has come from.

As I understand it, the monitoring in a CAZ has to stay completely below the legal limit for three full years before the area can be deemed fully compliant.

I don't believe the trains at the station are within the CAZ, the boundary is Sheaf St as far as I can see. The CAZ relates to road vehicles only.

Planner, we've been through this, the monitoring tubes outside and inside the station record the highest levels in the city. There is no other explanation for the increase in levels except for the trains otherwise why is it higher inside the station than outside?

The tubes outside the station will never be below the levels

Those are the official results for 2020 when we were in lockdown and virtually no cars on the road.  So even if you took all the cars off the road that location will still fail. You could also draw the same assumption for POnd St Interchange, Waingate and Fitzalan Sq who also failed during the lockdown period

Platform 1B - 46
Footbridge - 49
Platform 3A/2B North - 53
Platform 2A - 56
Platform 5A - 47
Platform 5B Waiting room - 50
Platform 6A Info stand - 57
Platform 6B - 49
Platform 8 South - 56
Platform 8A - 52

Sheaf St - 46

Edited by sheffbag
  • Like 1

Just now, sheffbag said:

Planner, we've been through this, the monitoring tubes outside and inside the station record the highest levels in the city. There is no other explanation for the increase in levels except for the trains otherwise why is it higher inside the station than outside?

The only thing that may raise them is a load of taxis outside, with engines on, but once the taxis start to get charged and they all sod off as a result it will prove beyond all reasonable doubt its the trains causing it.

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

Probably in the local multi stories then, the way you worded it came across that the Town Hall had loads of free parking.

I did do a search and wasn't expecting to find this from 18 months ago, shocking >

council staff free parking

summary

Hundreds of Sheffield councillors and employees have access to free parking despite politicians urging residents to walk and cycle more.

Some 377 councillors and staff can use parking spaces in council buildings, a Freedom of Information request reveals.

4 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

The only thing that may raise them is a load of taxis outside, with engines on, but once the taxis start to get charged and they all sod off as a result it will prove beyond all reasonable doubt its the trains causing it.

Have you ever passed through that taxi waiting area? The drivers sit there with engines running (or did). The air is rank.

4 minutes ago, blackydog said:

I did do a search and wasn't expecting to find this from 18 months ago, shocking >

summary

Hundreds of Sheffield councillors and employees have access to free parking despite politicians urging residents to walk and cycle more.

Some 377 councillors and staff can use parking spaces in council buildings, a Freedom of Information request reveals.

Have you ever passed through that taxi waiting area? The drivers sit there with engines running (or did). The air is rank.

Moorfoot has a car park attached to it, doesnt it? Would be stupid if they didnt use it? That building is being binned soon anyway.

Plus some staff are disabled. Seems fair enough to me. 

Well yes, getting rid of the most polluting taxis will prove once and for all if its the trains.

Edited by HeHasRisen

9 minutes ago, blackydog said:

I didn't see @AnnaB post. Driving anywhere is not a free for all and never has been. There have always been restrictions and sensible ones are welcome.

As regards town hall staff having free parking spaces, whilst attempting to drive everyone off the road, it was reported at the time. Probably The Star, I'll try and find a link but it was a long time ago. 

There was a small underground car park under Tudor Square but no way could anything like all council staff use it. It used to be open to the public at week ends.

13 minutes ago, blackydog said:

summary

The council employ thousands of staff, some of them are operational and need to use their own car for work purposes. Some of them do work which may mean they need to be called out from the office at short notice, so they need a car nearby. The council also have their own vehicles which they park in places which have a car park  like Moorfoot.

The council operate a permit system for all it's office car parks and staff who need a parking space for work or are disabled are the ones who get a permit. Some of the permits are shared and staff use them on days when they need a car for work (for example when they go out carrying lots of equipment).

The amount of office parking available is small compared to the overall number of staff. The parking is mainly located at Howden House and Moorfooot.  

Staff are encouraged to use public transport for business use wherever possible, or walk or cycle (there are pool cycles and electric bikes available for staff use).

Last I saw, all councillors had access to this parking at all times. I did make the point to them that it would be good for them to be seen to be leading by example and restricting their own use of parking spaces to those with an operational or medical need, but as far as I know they haven't taken that on board.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Moorfoot has a car park attached to it, doesnt it? Would be stupid if they didnt use it? That building is being binned soon anyway.

Plus some staff are disabled. Seems fair enough to me. 

Well yes, getting rid of the most polluting taxis will prove once and for all if its the trains.

Regarding the town hall, of course you would think of the old town hall (although I believe this also has vehicular access at the rear). I think it was the new town hall (Egg Box) that had basement parking for council staff. 

2 minutes ago, blackydog said:

Regarding the town hall, of course you would think of the old town hall (although I believe this also has vehicular access at the rear). I think it was the new town hall (Egg Box) that had basement parking for council staff. 

Really cant imagine there is room for many cars inside the internal courtyards (assuming there are any) of the current Town Hall tbh.

2 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

The council employ thousands of staff, some of them are operational and need to use their own car for work purposes. Some of them do work which may mean they need to be called out from the office at short notice, so they need a car nearby. The council also have their own vehicles which they park in places which have a car park  like Moorfoot.

The council operate a permit system for all it's office car parks and staff who need a parking space for work or are disabled are the ones who get a permit. Some of the permits are shared and staff use them on days when they need a car for work (for example when they go out carrying lots of equipment).

The amount of office parking available is small compared to the overall number of staff. The parking is mainly located at Howden House and Moorfooot.  

Staff are encouraged to use public transport for business use wherever possible, or walk or cycle (there are pool cycles and electric bikes available for staff use).

Last I saw, all councillors had access to this parking at all times. I did make the point to them that it would be good for them to be seen to be leading by example and restricting their own use of parking spaces to those with an operational or medical need, but as far as I know they haven't taken that on board.

Fair level of hypocrisy there then you would agree?  I would imagine only a very small percentage of council business is urgent, so there is no excuse for not pre arranging meetings, or whatever it is they do, that cannot be reached by public transport. 

Lots of us have important business to carry out, and we have to make the best of the bad lot they have lumbered us with.

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

Really cant imagine there is room for many cars inside the internal courtyards (assuming there are any) of the current Town Hall tbh.

Its mainly used for service access and deliveries, not a car park as such. The main council staff parking is in Howden House and Moorfoot in the city centre