Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

10 hours ago, srtaylo0 said:

I think the zone is not wide enough and needs to be extended. I don’t think there is an argument that cars emit pollutants and those pollutants are harmful. Also that one person sat in a car, in a traffic jam for a commute into town for a long period of time is a good use of time or resources. Therefore my opinion is that we need more carrots and sticks to get people out of cars. 

One of those sticks is Caz. But I think there needs to be better carrots - better public transport. That needs investment though. 

I think hitting traders with vans is bad - I think it’s commuters that should be hit BUT only if there is cheaper public transport that could be relied on. Commuters need to get to their place of work on time ! 

People used to do this before car ownership was a big thing so why can we not do it now - is it because we love to sit in our little tin boxes for long drives each day. 

I think there are two parts to this bold/underlined, as I have highlighted.

I don't think cheaper public transport is the issue. It costs about £2 to go to town on the bus, and to compare, for me, about £8 in a taxi.

However, the bus outside my house which goes to town, you can literally flip a coin to whether it will even turn up within 30 minutes of the time on the timetable.  When I lost my income during covid, and had to visit the DSS, the bus didn't turn up, so I paid a taxi fare and told I was too late. So I not only froze my t!ts off, but paid £8 for the privilege. (and had to walk home - which is a nice walk if you aren't recovering from a slipped disc). 

Employers don't want employees just turning up when the buses do, so it ends up working out cheaper buying and running a car.

9 hours ago, blackydog said:

I did do a search and wasn't expecting to find this from 18 months ago, shocking >

council staff free parking

summary

Hundreds of Sheffield councillors and employees have access to free parking despite politicians urging residents to walk and cycle more.

Some 377 councillors and staff can use parking spaces in council buildings, a Freedom of Information request reveals.

Have you ever passed through that taxi waiting area? The drivers sit there with engines running (or did). The air is rank.

I know EXACTLY what you are saying, because everyone says the same. Let me guess... you noticed this, when a train arrived?

If you ever asked any driver about this, or had done the job, you would know the reason for this. 

Since no one listens, I don't know why I waste my time saying the same things over and over, but I'll give you an answer as I've not seen you before...

The station is busy when a big train comes in (i.e. London/Manc), the rest of the time, the drivers just sit waiting for the next one, and let me tell you, you do not sit with it running. It's too inefficient. However, when a London train comes in, the queue basically moves as fast as people get in them, so they run their engines to keep moving. This is probably when you go, because you don't go when no trains arrive!

If you did one day as a driver, you would know this, but you only go there when a train arrives, so this is all people see. I'm not guessing, I've done it, I know it. 

Edited by *_ash_*
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, mike1961 said:

Looks to me that you have never run your own business involving transportation and logistics?.

I haven't performed brain surgery or flown a rocket to the moon either.

My point still stands, its "clap trap" only because you dont agree with it.

Edited by HeHasRisen
Typo