Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

15 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

I think there are two parts to this bold/underlined, as I have highlighted.

I don't think cheaper public transport is the issue. It costs about £2 to go to town on the bus, and to compare, for me, about £8 in a taxi.

However, the bus outside my house which goes to town, you can literally flip a coin to whether it will even turn up within 30 minutes of the time on the timetable.  When I lost my income during covid, and had to visit the DSS, the bus didn't turn up, so I paid a taxi fare and told I was too late. So I not only froze my t!ts off, but paid £8 for the privilege. (and had to walk home - which is a nice walk if you aren't recovering from a slipped disc). 

Employers don't want employees just turning up when the buses do, so it ends up working out cheaper buying and running a car.

I know EXACTLY what you are saying, because everyone says the same. Let me guess... you noticed this, when a train arrived?

If you ever asked any driver about this, or had done the job, you would know the reason for this. 

Since no one listens, I don't know why I waste my time saying the same things over and over, but I'll give you an answer as I've not seen you before...

The station is busy when a big train comes in (i.e. London/Manc), the rest of the time, the drivers just sit waiting for the next one, and let me tell you, you do not sit with it running. It's too inefficient. However, when a London train comes in, the queue basically moves as fast as people get in them, so they run their engines to keep moving. This is probably when you go, because you don't go when no trains arrive!

If you did one day as a driver, you would know this, but you only go there when a train arrives, so this is all people see. I'm not guessing, I've done it, I know it. 

Good points ash - I agree on frequency - public transport is just not reliable enough. 

i really hope your back is on the mend !  

take care. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, srtaylo0 said:

Good points ash - I agree on frequency - public transport is just not reliable enough

i really hope your back is on the mend !  

take care. 

My bold. 

Could you imagine if everyone left their cars at home this coming Monday morning.  Absolute chaos on public transport in Sheffield.  People would still be rolling into work at midday. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

Could you imagine if everyone left their cars at home this coming Monday morning.  Absolute chaos on public transport in Sheffield.  People would still be rolling into work at midday. 

It really would.  And that’s kinda my point. There is not a viable alternative. 

which is why I open with. 

carrots and sticks. Make commuting by car an expensive alternative to public transport. But make sure public transport is viable first. That way you achieve cleaner air because there’s less cars sat in long traffic jams.  

More climate change bs. No debate just the same narrative day in day out. Extinction event for CO2 levels 150ppm only at 420ppm. Plants grow quicker more food. No debate only WEF bs counts. Ok here they do not want pollution well these council eco zealots should educate themselves rather than preaching. We all know that once imposed they will expand to include our cars. Some greenies think we should all cycle but guess what these morons do not have a car.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fools said:

Lots of car owners on these threads, quite happy to impose a joyless existence on everyone else.

You don't see many people smiling on a bus

But most bus users have got one foot in the grave. Although they should be a little happy that everyone else is paying for their travel....

• Confused 1