Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

Just now, RollingJ said:

Exactly - SCC have an agenda, and there is no way on earth you are going to change that, even in the face of evidence that it is not required.

How many more times. It’s a central government agenda which the council have been directed to implement.

Partial compliance won’t cut it. Those are the rules.

2 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

How many more times. It’s a central government agenda which the council have been directed to implement.

Partial compliance won’t cut it. Those are the rules.

Post #42 seems to point elsewhere - the Interchange 'problem could be eliminated if the drivers did as they are supposed to, and I don't know how you can change the Sheffield Station situation - the trains need the power from the engines before they move, as I am sure you know - to power the LEDs &c.

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

Post #42 seems to point elsewhere - the Interchange 'problem could be eliminated if the drivers did as they are supposed to, and I don't know how you can change the Sheffield Station situation - the trains need the power from the engines before they move, as I am sure you know - to power the LEDs &c.

Post #42 indicated some areas of non compliance.

If it was that easy to sort the problem it would have been done already.

@Planner1 As I said in the post you replied to, the two areas mentioned were the Interchange (and I explained a possible cause and the remedy). In the case of Sheffield Station, that has SFA to do with road transport - it is diesel trains, which as I  tried to explain, run the engines as they are needed. I have observed, in my many journeys from there, that those which start from there only start up maybe five minutes prior to departure and the others are stood on average about three or four minutes - unless something within the rail network holds them longer, in which case, I have known them shut down until given clearance.

7 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

@Planner1 As I said in the post you replied to, the two areas mentioned were the Interchange (and I explained a possible cause and the remedy). In the case of Sheffield Station, that has SFA to do with road transport - it is diesel trains, which as I  tried to explain, run the engines as they are needed. I have observed, in my many journeys from there, that those which start from there only start up maybe five minutes prior to departure and the others are stood on average about three or four minutes - unless something within the rail network holds them longer, in which case, I have known them shut down until given clearance.

Electrification will reduce it a little, assuming it ever happens.

58 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

It doesn’t matter where the emissions are coming from, the area is non-compliant and the council must do what it can within the government rules to address it.

It’s quite simple really.

50 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Electrification will reduce it a little, assuming it ever happens.

There are also plenty of Hackney cabs sitting idling around the station and plenty of buses using the interchange. Add in the non compliant vans hgvs and buses using Sheaf St, so there’s quite a lot more than just trains contributing to the problem at that location.

The CAZ should eliminate most of the non-train stuff so we’ll have to see whether that’s enough.

Edited by Planner1

Just now, Planner1 said:

It doesn’t matter where the emissions are coming from, the area is non-compliant and the council must do what it can within the government rules to address it.

It’s quite simple really.

There are remedies for the Interchange, as I have stated at least twice previously, but the Rail Station is another question. I wonder when these readings were taken - middle of the rush hour - which is not 'typical' and can give erroneous readings?

9 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

There are remedies for the Interchange, as I have stated at least twice previously, but the Rail Station is another question. I wonder when these readings were taken - middle of the rush hour - which is not 'typical' and can give erroneous readings?

I suggest you go learn something about air quality monitoring before you go posting about it and suggesting that “erroneous” data is used. Why do you feel the need to speculate negatively about something you clearly know nothing about.

And I also suggested to you that if it was that simple to fix, it would have been done already. But you’re ignoring that inconvenient truth.

10 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

I suggest you go learn something about air quality monitoring before you go posting about it and suggesting that “erroneous” data is used. Why do you feel the need to speculate negatively about something you clearly know nothing about.

And I also suggested to you that if it was that simple to fix, it would have been done already. But you’re ignoring that inconvenient truth.

OK , maybe I went off at half-**** on that, because had I really thought about it, I do know a little about air-quality monitoring from my days working in the H.E./steel industry.

I note with interest though that you have (conveniently?) not tried to defend the related incident I posted about 'excessive lead levels' within this topic?

Just now, RollingJ said:

OK , maybe I went off at half-**** on that, because had I really thought about it, I do know a little about air-quality monitoring from my days working in the H.E./steel industry.

I note with interest though that you have (conveniently?) not tried to defend the related incident I posted about 'excessive lead levels' within this topic?

Why do you see conspiracy everywhere? I know little about lead poisoning so don’t comment. Non compliance with statutory limits isn’t a problem until you know about it. Once you do, you have to act ( within the limits of your powers and influence).

The more you measure, the more problems you find. That’s what I know!