Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

28 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

You can still "bail" at the retail park though, although you cant turn around there unless you go through the back of the park and on other roads.

Off the top of my head there are 6 spots coming down the Parkway you can bail off it (Catcliffe, Handsworth, A57, "Makro", Manor turnoff, the retail park) and 4 of those let you turn around easily 

Not really, why woudl you turn around at Catcliffe or Handsowrth if going into sheff? and you missing the point of my post which was every other point of entry to the caz does not have the roundabout entering it inside it so you can go down london road, abbeydale rd, Bramhall Lane, Western Bank, Spital Hill right to the point of the zone and the roundabout isnt in it. Park Sq roundabout is.

27 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I think the average motorist will now have to concede they might have to do 5 minutes of research before driving into an unfamiliar major city, I wouldn't dream of driving to somewhere I was unfamiliar with without taking a look at the route first.

Most drivers coming into a city they are unfamiliar with will simply stick the sat nav on. Im sure you do the same if going somehwere you dont know

4 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

Not really, why woudl you turn around at Catcliffe or Handsowrth if going into sheff? and you missing the point of my post which was every other point of entry to the caz does not have the roundabout entering it inside it so you can go down london road, abbeydale rd, Bramhall Lane, Western Bank, Spital Hill right to the point of the zone and the roundabout isnt in it. Park Sq roundabout is.

I would have thought ALL roundabouts on the Inner Ring Road would be in it, is this not the case?

UK_Sheffield_CAZ_map.jpg

Actually, that map above doesnt seem to be accurate, have found this:

https://sheffieldcc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=209bfe53e5b34c06878e0f0d6c39ee88

Well thats just baffling. First time I had noticed that.

Edited by HeHasRisen

12 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

Most drivers coming into a city they are unfamiliar with will simply stick the sat nav on. Im sure you do the same if going somehwere you dont know

Well no, I literally just said thats not what I do, I would take a look at home first and in this day and age check there arent tolls or charges. 

4 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Well no, I literally just said thats not what I do, I would take a look at home first and in this day and age check there arent tolls or charges. 

Most sat nav softwares have been updated or in the process of updating with CAZ avoidance options. 

1 minute ago, Resident said:

Most sat nav softwares have been updated or in the process of updating with CAZ avoidance options. 

That may be so, but I still feel a prudent to spend a few minutes checking at home, rather than jumping into a car and driving blind into an unfamiliar city.

• Like 1

The more I think about this the more I believe that it's an excuse to raise money.  I presume there are signs on the Parkway at the M1 and before every other possible turn of advising of the CAZ and giving drivers a chance to change route. If the council were really determined to clean up the air, wouldn't they ban any polluting vehicles and not just allow them providing they pay the "fine ". I understand that the money might be a deterant but if operator's pass on the charge to customers  wether it be passengers or via goods to shops etc. then it's going to be the general public who eventually pay....and the air is still polluted.

23 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I would have thought ALL roundabouts on the Inner Ring Road would be in it, is this not the case?

UK_Sheffield_CAZ_map.jpg

Actually, that map above doesnt seem to be accurate, have found this:

https://sheffieldcc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=209bfe53e5b34c06878e0f0d6c39ee88

Well thats just baffling. First time I had noticed that.

Zoom in and none of them are. They even mentioned it on Look Leeds last night

Only Park Sq is

4 minutes ago, Meltman said:

The more I think about this the more I believe that it's an excuse to raise money.  I presume there are signs on the Parkway at the M1 and before every other possible turn of advising of the CAZ and giving drivers a chance to change route. If the council were really determined to clean up the air, wouldn't they ban any polluting vehicles and not just allow them providing they pay the "fine ". I understand that the money might be a deterant but if operator's pass on the charge to customers  wether it be passengers or via goods to shops etc. then it's going to be the general public who eventually pay....and the air is still polluted.

Signs for the CAZ - yes

Signs of alternate routes - No, because you cant get into the centre without going through it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Meltman said:

Legislation wont allow the wholesale banning of vehicles from these zones, I dont think any areas does, or indeed can, do this.

What you maybe need to ask is "why are these vehicles allowed to pass MOT tests"?

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 1