Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

What you maybe need to ask is "why are these vehicles allowed to pass MOT tests"?

I've not got a problem with that. You could ask "why are the railways allowed to have polluting locomotives " going around the country.?

I guess we all know the answer!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Meltman said:

I've not got a problem with that. You could ask "why are the railways allowed to have polluting locomotives " going around the country.?

I guess we all know the answer!

Yes, I have asked that question twice now ("Can, in theory, a local authority charge Train Operating Companies for bringing diesel trains into a CAZ?") and seemingly nobody knows the answer.

3 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I assumed he was on about banning all non-complaint vehicles full stop? Not charging them, just not allowed to enter at all?

Correct  I was.  Charging them is like allowing people to pay to pollute and I thought the idea was to clean up the air. 

2 minutes ago, Meltman said:

Correct  I was.  Charging them is like allowing people to pay to pollute and I thought the idea was to clean up the air. 

Suppose the theory is the charge acts as a deterrent. The legislation wont allow for vehicles just to be banned wholesale. Thats a question for central government,

Edited by HeHasRisen

54 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

What about cars licenced elsewhere like Uber use? 

The report I linked to and the info I posted only apply to Hackney Cabs ie black cabs.

The requirements for private hire vehicles ( like Uber etc) are something completely different.

16 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Suppose the theory is the charge acts as a deterrent. The legislation wont allow for vehicles just to be banned wholesale. Thats a question for central government,

The prospect of paying a daily fee also encourages the owners and operators of the vehicles to consider upgrading or replacing the vehicles with a compliant vehicle. There are grants available to help with this. 

How is 3.5k going to make a dent in upgrading a vehicle that's saying 30k + when your old vehicle is worth say 5k, and you don't have any more money!!! 

24 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

The prospect of paying a daily fee also encourages the owners and operators of the vehicles to consider upgrading or replacing the vehicles with a compliant vehicle. There are grants available to help with this. 

• Like 2

Guest busdriver1
3 minutes ago, wendyG said:

How is 3.5k going to make a dent in upgrading a vehicle that's saying 30k + when your old vehicle is worth say 5k, and you don't have any more money!!! 

It wont, hence they will just pay the charge and then pass it on. 

54 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

What you maybe need to ask is "why are these vehicles allowed to pass MOT tests"?

Quite simple, the emissions level of a vehicle are set at the date of manufacture and stay at that level for its life. They can pass their MOT quite easily and be well under their level but not qualify for the CAZ