Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

2 minutes ago, Meltman said:

I was thinking about alternative routes to avoid the CAZ and not go into the centre, but that would be defeating the objective of charging!

As @HeHasRisen has said people will have to plan their route, even if they have done it thousands of times in the past. 

Last time I went to the centre of Nottingham in a car was 4 years ago. If I went tomorrow I would still look to see if the roads have changed etc, in fact Google Maps was so inconclusive I had to email them to ask if a certain turn was prohibited or not.

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Meltman said:

I don't know if it's a plan but it seems a lot of people do. There are lots of old Transit,'s (other makes are available) doing deliveries and I see old coaches doing school runs. They probably only make up a small percentage and don't often go into the city centre, I don't know   but one hopes they are road legal and always seem to be around. 

In the CAZ in Bath, before the scheme 70% of vans entering the CAZ area were compliant. After a year or so of operation, 80% were compliant.

Some will have re-round, some will have upgraded.

Just now, Planner1 said:

In the CAZ in Bath, before the scheme 70% of vans entering the CAZ area were compliant. After a year or so of operation, 80% were compliant.

Some will have re-round, some will have upgraded.

Usually as part of their planned fleet management.

26 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

The grants are a drop in the ocean and you know that. try to find a mini bus or coach that a operator could afford in this current climate. If i ran a coach business i dont have 70K floating around certainly not at the moment

That was one of the reasons GM used in its argument and the govt agreed and cited it in the statement it released

It’s a contribution, no one is saying anything different.

What proportion of the cost to swap it represents will vary depending on how old the current vehicle is and what it’s value is.

On Auto Trader, Euro 6 transit vans from 2016 start around £6k. 

Yes that was one reason cited.

2 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Yes, I have asked that question twice now ("Can, in theory, a local authority charge Train Operating Companies for bringing diesel trains into a CAZ?") and seemingly nobody knows the answer.

CAZ charges apply to roads and road vehicles, so as trains aren’t road vehicles and don’t use roads, the charges can’t apply to them.

Pretty simple really.

Just now, Planner1 said:

CAZ charges apply to roads and road vehicles, so as trains aren’t road vehicles and don’t use roads, the charges can’t apply to them.

Pretty simple really.

OK, thanks. So the train companies can just carry on without impunity, or are there separate agreements in place there?

Sheffield doesnt have a single electric train visit it, for the simple reason it isnt on an electrified route.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Planner1 said:

Pretty simple really.

Even though they could be contributing to said/claimed pollution?