Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

Guest busdriver1
1 minute ago, mike1961 said:

Nope don't agree ,forget shopping in the city centre ,go to Meadowhall, free parking, more quality shops ,no beggars or spice heads ,but some businesses still need daily deliveries and collections in the city centre which can't be done on a bike or on foot or by using public transport, you mention deliveries might take a bit longer ,but you don't mention the additional fuel and subsequent emissions ?.

What about residential deliveries in the city centre, the city is encouraging people to move there but making it virtually impossible for companies to deliver there.

Just thought, how do supermarket deliveries cope with this?

6 minutes ago, mike1961 said:

I only go into the city to make deliveries and collections for work ,this nonsense just makes my life and everyone else's harder.in an ideal world we would all use public transport or even better ride a bike but the reality is it's far from an ideal world.

Dont know why they don't just erect no entry signs around the city and have done with it!.

And use more fuel !

When most people visit a city centre by car, they want to navigate to the area of it they are visiting and park close to it.

That is very easy to do in Sheffield. There’s lots of parking and it’s easy to access from the inner ring road.

Yes it may use a bit more fuel if you are making multiple drop offs / pickups, but not that many people will be doing that.  A high proportion of those type of trips are done by large transport fleets who tend to have fairly new, efficient vehicles and trained drivers. In terms of the CAZ, these vehicles will be compliant, so it’s not a significant issue.

City centres need to be planned and designed for people, not for through traffic and delivery drivers convenience.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mike1961 said:

forget shopping in the city centre ,go to Meadowhall,free parking,more quality shops

it's much further away, i can't see the sky, and the food choices are terrible.

parking in the city centre is easy, and costs a couple of quid. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

What about residential deliveries in the city centre, the city is encouraging people to move there but making it virtually impossible for companies to deliver there.

Just thought, how do supermarket deliveries cope with this?

It isn’t “ virtually impossible”. That’s nonsense. It is just a bit different to how it was before.

I haven’t heard any howls of protest from city centre businesses, so it’s obvious they cope just fine.

Theres a city centre Business Improvement District, where the businesses and council work together. Any issues would have been discussed there and ironed out before implementation.

• Haha 1

Guest busdriver1
2 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Yes it may use a bit more fuel if you are making multiple drop offs / pickups, but not that many people will be doing that.  A high proportion of those type of trips are done by large transport fleets who tend to have fairly new, efficient vehicles and trained drivers. In terms of the CAZ, these vehicles will be compliant, so it’s not a significant issue.

City centres need to be planned and designed for people, not for through traffic and delivery drivers convenience.

One large transport company has cancelled ALL deliveries in S1 because of the constant road changes that are NOT being updated to the sat nav companies as they should be resulting in deliveries being missed due to time slots not being able to be met. No matter how professional the drivers are they can not be expected to automatically know of this weeks road changes if they are not publicised to the relevant places.  This has nothing to do with CAZ it is about road changes not being notified as per requirements. 

Guest busdriver1
1 minute ago, Planner1 said:

It isn’t “ virtually impossible”. That’s nonsense. It is just a bit different to how it was before.

I haven’t heard any howls of protest from city centre businesses, so it’s obvious they cope just fine.

Theres a city centre Business Improvement District, where the businesses and council work together. Any issues would have been discussed there and ironed out before implementation.

nobody has shouted, or the councils ears were closed? 

There have been multiple complaints that I have seen but none have even had a reply.

10 minutes ago, mike1961 said:

Nope don't agree ,forget shopping in the city centre ,go to Meadowhall,free parking,more quality shops 

And the car parks have access loops out to a ring road and you can’t drive down the middle of the mall.

Very similar to the city centre.

• Like 1

Guest busdriver1
Just now, Planner1 said:

And the car parks have access loops out to a ring road and you can’t drive down the middle of the mall.

Very similar to the city centre.

and excellent delivery facilities.........

Very dissimilar to the city centre 

3 minutes ago, ads36 said:

it's much further away, i can't see the sky, and the food choices are terrible.

parking in the city centre is easy, and costs a couple of quid. 

I have an electric car which I recently drove into the city centre one evening to go to a concert at the city hall, couldn't find anywhere to park ,lots and lots of disabled bays where empty but of course can't use those so ended up parking in Q park multi storey and paying £16.00 for about 3 hours parking so I disagree parking in the city centre isn't plentiful or cheap either