Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

3 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

It is any on street parking in the city centre or council car parks.

Info is on the councils parking page here

I park in the Wellington St area to visit the cinema on the Moor

I think you might be underestimating the value that a lot of people put on quality of life. Environmental considerations are much more to the fore in people’s thinking nowadays.

i think you are deluded

6 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Which q park was that? Surely that must have been including additional cost for vehicle charging or something because their rack rates are nowhere near that for 3 hours.

Sorry the numbers aren't making sense.

As for not being able to find somewhere to park, the City Hall is surrounded by options.  There are all the council run surface car parks on Carver Lane, Eldon Street, Fitzwilliam Street and Rockingham Street.  There are on street parking bays on Tripett Lane, Carver Street and Division Street.  There is the NCP at Wellington Street or Furnival Gate. There are the APOCA car parks on Eyre Street or Atkinsons. Then there's the Q parks at Charles Street or Rockingham Street.

Hardly a lack of options and surely you cannot have been so naive to think that you were going to be able to drive into the middle of a big city and park on the street conveniently outside the door of the venue.  

I do have legs and can walk , maybe on the particular night It was busy ,who knows 

4 minutes ago, ads36 said:

it's fundamental to the issue at hand.

some people are complaining that bus gates will make deliveries harder.

which may or may not be true, but the goal is to improve the bus service.

Sod deliveries,sod people trying to work and earn a living, just make the bus service better,great !!!

9 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

It is any on street parking in the city centre or council car parks.

Info is on the councils parking page here

I park in the Wellington St area to visit the cinema on the Moor

I think you might be underestimating the value that a lot of people put on quality of life. Environmental considerations are much more to the fore in people’s thinking nowadays.

Hmmm... :huh:

A less hypocritical person would catch a bus! :roll:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, mike1961 said:

Sod deliveries,sod people trying to work and earn a living, just make the bus service better,great !!!

Yes, improved bus services is a worthy goal.

improve the buses, and more people will use them = less driving = easier delivery journeys.

alternatively, poor bus services = more people driving = harder deliver journeys.

it's all connected. 

3 minutes ago, ads36 said:

Yes, improved bus services is a worthy goal.

improve the buses, and more people will use them = less driving = easier delivery journeys.

alternatively, poor bus services = more people driving = harder deliver journeys.

it's all connected. 

How?

Just now, RollingJ said:

How?

for example : bus gates ; which divert cars and some other traffic away from bus routes

in wider news : the bus lane is being extended on Chesterfield road - the associated civil engineering is causing a bit of traffic bother this week, but it should save a few minutes off the bus journey at busy times!

1 minute ago, ads36 said:

for example : bus gates ; which divert cars and some other traffic away from bus routes

in wider news : the bus lane is being extended on Chesterfield road - the associated civil engineering is causing a bit of traffic bother this week, but it should save a few minutes off the bus journey at busy times!

Agreed. But, what happens if you need to enter those 'gated' areas? Admittedly, I don't think that situation arises with the current set-up , but the more restrictions you put in place, the sooner it inevitably will.

3 hours ago, mike1961 said:

ended up parking in Q park multi storey and paying £16.00 for about 3 hours parking so I disagree parking in the city centre isn't plentiful or cheap either 

city hall used to have a cheap parking deal with qpark, it's now been reduced to a 35% off promo code, if booked in advance.

used to be able to park around the outside for free

7 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Agreed. But, what happens if you need to enter those 'gated' areas?

worst case : you're driving, and have to go the long way round.

(example : the bus gate at the bottom of Ripley st, stopping you from turning left onto Langsett rd.)

it's worth pointing out that these 'gate' restrictions only apply to cars, not buses/ walking/ bikes... 

(and if you are driving, you generally just have to go the long way round around the gate - all the fuss tends to fade away once we're given a chance to get used to the new layout)

2 minutes ago, ads36 said:

worst case : you're driving, and have to go the long way round.

(example : the bus gate at the bottom of Ripley st, stopping you from turning left onto Langsett rd.)

it's worth pointing out that these 'gate' restrictions only apply to cars, not buses/ walking/ bikes... 

(and if you are driving, you generally just have to go the long way round around the gate - all the fuss tends to fade away once we're given a chance to get used to the new layout)

Increasing pollution, wasting time.

BTW  - I don't drive.

Edited by RollingJ