Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

1 hour ago, mike1961 said:

Viable maybe but longer ,using more fuel and causing more emissions,when you work hard for yourself to earn a living , maybe you'll get it

You can’t plan a city centre around minimising delivery drivers costs and making their journeys as short as possible.

There are much wider considerations.

Maybe when you grow up, you’ll understand the bigger picture and quit making the snide comments.

28 minutes ago, fools said:

that looks very much like a snide comment

Exactly 

34 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

You can’t plan a city centre around minimising delivery drivers costs and making their journeys as short as possible.

There are much wider considerations.

Maybe when you grow up, you’ll understand the bigger picture and quit making the snide comments.

Me thinks I've touched a nerve!

The biggest issue in town centre where hold ups for public transport isn't going to be solved by this bus gate on Arundel Gate. 

GENERAL traffic isn't the issue, it's taxis, which will still be allowed down AG North.

Constant parking in bus stops/lanes, cutting up buses and generally failing to follow the rules and laws of driving, all done by taxis and all ignored seemingly by SCC. 

Want to improve public transport? Ban taxis from bus lanes and gates. Re-introduce the regulations that banned out-of-town plated taxis from operating within the city. You'll solve about 2/3s of the city's traffic issues. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Resident said:

The biggest issue in town centre where hold ups for public transport isn't going to be solved by this bus gate on Arundel Gate. 

GENERAL traffic isn't the issue, it's taxis, which will still be allowed down AG North.

Constant parking in bus stops/lanes, cutting up buses and generally failing to follow the rules and laws of driving, all done by taxis and all ignored seemingly by SCC. 

Want to improve public transport? Ban taxis from bus lanes and gates. Re-introduce the regulations that banned out-of-town plated taxis from operating within the city. You'll solve about 2/3s of the city's traffic issues. 

I think you’d be surprised by how many tickets are issued to taxis.

Taxi drivers generally know how far they can push their luck.  As do a lot of other drivers.

They can’t ban out of town cabs from bus lanes / gates. The way the regulations work is that you can only exempt categories of vehicle, like hackney cab, private hire vehicle, bus, motorcycle etc. cabs registered outside Sheffield isn’t a legitimate vehicle category for that purpose.

18 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Taxi drivers generally know how far they can push their luck.  As do a lot of other drivers.

They can’t ban out of town cabs from bus lanes / gates. The way the regulations work is that you can only exempt categories of vehicle, like hackney cab, private hire vehicle, bus, motorcycle etc. cabs registered outside Sheffield isn’t a legitimate vehicle category for that purpose.

Hmmm... :huh:

Again this is just another blinkered excuse and narrow minded thinking.

What's to stop SCC officially banning ALL private hire vehicles from using bus lanes...
... but then only fining those that use the bus lanes if they're registered outside Sheffield?

I'm sure you'll say that's not legally possible...
... but surely the issuing of tickets is NOT mandatory, and is at the discretion of SCC?

Those issued tickets will probably complain that it's 'unfair' to them, but legally they'd be in the wrong. :roll:

2 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Regarding the OOT plated taxis, I meant full operating ban, not just lanes and gates. 

It used to be that a taxis could only operate within it's plated area and only travel into another if the booked job started or ended in the plated area. 

Since this was relaxed cash-strapped councils such as Calderdale, Wolverhampton & North East Derbyshire (most common ones I see) offered their licences with lower fees (and less stringent checks) which is why Sheffield is plagued by them. 

There was even a report on Taxipoint that stated that potentially a lot of phv taxis aren't correctly insured as a lot of insurers stipulate that cover isn't extended to outside of plated area work. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Planner1 said:

So if I drive a Sheffield Hackney carriage in Leeds, or Bradford or London, where their own hackneys can use the lanes, I won't get fined?

Wrong. I will. 

Why are Sheffield regulations different to every other city?