Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

3 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I believe Uber drivers are exempt, but private hire cabs and black cabs aren't. I could be wrong, but that doesn't make sense either.

Don't think Uber drivers are exempt ,they I believe are still viewed as private hire vehicles and of their vehicle doesn't comply they will be charged.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mike1961 said:

A guy on Facebook has poised the following scenario.

A taxi driver driving say a 2015 registered Skoda Octavia with a diesel engine that doesn't meet current SCC Caz requirements and will therefore be charged for entertaining the zone as he or she is polluting the air.

The driver of the taxi sells his taxi to me and I use it as my own private vehicle and therefore I won't be charged.

Is this therefore anything to do with pollution or just fleecing small businesses for money?.

Also in London the office of national statistics stated that between 2001 and 2021 only 1 death was recorded due to air pollutants.

That's a very good point.

Just shows that they can't even make rules properly.

6 hours ago, Anna B said:

So who would that be then? 

Don't you think we should know who's pulling the strings, and how they got the contract?

And how much it's costing?

What exactly are they doing for the money? What does running the scheme nationally actually mean?

Surely the councils should be running (and monitoring) these schemes locally. 

Are we paying for yet another layer of administration yet again?

Have a look at this article 

The national operation contract for CAZ’s has been let by the Government’s Joint Air Quality Unit.

According to this article it’s a 4 year contract worth £15 million.

It was always intended that the charging mechanism for all CAZ’s would be organised centrally by the government. 

1 hour ago, mike1961 said:

A guy on Facebook has poised the following scenario.

A taxi driver driving say a 2015 registered Skoda Octavia with a diesel engine that doesn't meet current SCC Caz requirements and will therefore be charged for entertaining the zone as he or she is polluting the air.

The driver of the taxi sells his taxi to me and I use it as my own private vehicle and therefore I won't be charged.

Is this therefore anything to do with pollution or just fleecing small businesses for money?.

Also in London the office of national statistics stated that between 2001 and 2021 only 1 death was recorded due to air pollutants.

Exactly right.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

I believe Uber drivers are exempt, but private hire cabs and black cabs aren't. I could be wrong, but that doesn't make sense either.

They aren't.

15 hours ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

A question: as the Ring Road (A61) is shown on all Clean Air Zone [NB: not 'Congestion Zone!] maps, does this mean that the CAZ comprises:

a. everything inside the Ring Road; or

b. ditto plus the Ring Road itself?

as someone said earlier yes the ring road is included despite only 1 measurement throughout the entire ring road being over 40 so you are getting charged to drive in clean air......

10 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Have a look at this article 

The national operation contract for CAZ’s has been let by the Government’s Joint Air Quality Unit.

According to this article it’s a 4 year contract worth £15 million.

It was always intended that the charging mechanism for all CAZ’s would be organised centrally by the government. 

Cheers Planner (see i dont always argue with you) id been looking for that

Anna - https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/1444/regulation/3/made

Thats the link outlining the actual fees payable out of your charges

edit

15 hours ago, mike1961 said:

that's a good question!

it's likely that as a private vehicle, this skoda will only visit the city centre once or twice a day.

as a taxi, it'll make multiple trips = more pollution.

Edited by ads36

Whether we like it or not, we need to use cars. 

Even the best public transport system is unlikely to cover all the journeys necessary.

And for most people, time is a precious commodity. A journey I do regularly by car takes 20 minutes. (I recently did the same trip by taxi and it cost £17 one way.) 

To reach the same destination by bus  takes one and a half hours, (assuming the buses are on time,) and then another hour and a half for the return trip.  Who has that sort of time to spare?

It also costs far more in bus fares than it does in petrol.

As car use has become more common, more developments have been built out of town and are not on regular bus routes.

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 1