Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

22 hours ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

A question: as the Ring Road (A61) is shown on all Clean Air Zone [NB: not 'Congestion Zone!] maps, does this mean that the CAZ comprises:

a. everything inside the Ring Road; or

b. ditto plus the Ring Road itself?

It was mentioned on the radio a few days ago that you could use all the approaching roundabouts to the CAZ / inner ring road to actually enter then go round & exit without being charged, if you entered by mistake with the exception of Park Square roundabout, in which case, you'd have to exit at the last exit on the Parkway. 

Heard The Mayor Mr Oliver Coppard on Radio Sheffield earlier talking about clean air zone.

He said that 700 people in Sheffield die every year from air pollution.

That's around 15 people every week.

To be honest I used to work in insurance and I dealt with bereaved families and death certificates,not once did ever see the cause of death on the certificate recorded as Air Pollution.

You know what Mr Coppard I DON'T BELIEVE YOU.

1 hour ago, mike1961 said:

To be honest I used to work in insurance and I dealt with bereaved families and death certificates,not once did ever see the cause of death on the certificate recorded as Air Pollution.

That's because pollution is the indirect cause of death. The death certificates will be listing things such as pulmonary edema. Air pollution being partially responsible for such deaths is based on statistical analysis. It's similar to how officially you die of lung cancer rather than of smoking cigarettes.

13 minutes ago, dave_the_m said:

That's because pollution is the indirect cause of death. The death certificates will be listing things such as pulmonary edema. Air pollution being partially responsible for such deaths is based on statistical analysis. It's similar to how officially you die of lung cancer rather than of smoking cigarettes.

There are many causes of pulmonary edema so you can't say it's down to air pollution 

3 hours ago, mike1961 said:

Heard The Mayor Mr Oliver Coppard on Radio Sheffield earlier talking about clean air zone.

He said that 700 people in Sheffield die every year from air pollution.

That's around 15 people every week.

How many of those 700 were smokers, either active or former? That would be a question I'd ask. 

ONS statistics state that in 2020 14% of adults were active smokers. There are unfortunately no figures for underage and former smokers. Then there are certain jobs that expose people to harmful vapours etc. 

56 minutes ago, mike1961 said:

There are many causes of pulmonary edema so you can't say it's down to air pollution 

There are many causes of lung cancer, so you can't say that a particular incident of lung cancer was caused by smoking. What you can do however is carefully examine the statistics, and show that the risk of lung cancer increases if you're a smoker, and that smoking causes approximately so many thousand extra deaths per year. Same idea with air pollution.

11 hours ago, Resident said:

How many of those 700 were smokers, either active or former? That would be a question I'd ask. 

ONS statistics state that in 2020 14% of adults were active smokers. There are unfortunately no figures for underage and former smokers. Then there are certain jobs that expose people to harmful vapours etc. 

I have recently retired after 50 years working as a welder, in that time i have breathed in some right s--t  far far worse than the sheffield air that is supposed to be killing 700 people a year, i am still here fit and well.

16 minutes ago, jonnythefox said:

I have recently retired after 50 years working as a welder, in that time i have breathed in some right s--t  far far worse than the sheffield air that is supposed to be killing 700 people a year, i am still here fit and well.

Yes. Sheffield has good quality air, far better than in past years. As a nation we have very low emissions contributing less than 1% to the whole, which is a drop in the ocean. Meanwhile China, India and Russia continue to pump out massive amounts with gay abandon and nothing is done about it.

We're wasting our time, at great cost to  our way of life.  

• Like 2