Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

2 hours ago, jonnythefox said:

I have recently retired after 50 years working as a welder, in that time i have breathed in some right s--t  far far worse than the sheffield air that is supposed to be killing 700 people a year, i am still here fit and well.

Can you stop masking your swearing please, it offends people. Apparently.

14 hours ago, dave_the_m said:

There are many causes of lung cancer, so you can't say that a particular incident of lung cancer was caused by smoking. What you can do however is carefully examine the statistics, and show that the risk of lung cancer increases if you're a smoker, and that smoking causes approximately so many thousand extra deaths per year. Same idea with air pollution.

Okay but the air in Sheffield is generally clean and has been for a number of years so this is all smoke and mirrors,there are small pockets in Sheffield that may have an air supply solution problem but on the whole the air quality is good

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

Yes. Sheffield has good quality air, far better than in past years. As a nation we have very low emissions contributing less than 1% to the whole, which is a drop in the ocean. Meanwhile China, India and Russia continue to pump out massive amounts with gay abandon and nothing is done about it.

We're wasting our time, at great cost to  our way of life.  

It's thew same with the plastic waste in the sea. Near 80% of all seaborne plastic waste comes from just 5 countries. ALL in the pan-asian area. 

I'm not saying we shouldn't do our bit, of course we should but we should also be forcing the worst offenders to as well. Sadly the only way to do this would be to start our own manufacturering again instead of importing it from the likes of China etc & hit their pockets. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Resident said:

It's thew same with the plastic waste in the sea. Near 80% of all seaborne plastic waste comes from just 5 countries. ALL in the pan-asian area. 

I'm not saying we shouldn't do our bit, of course we should but we should also be forcing the worst offenders to as well. Sadly the only way to do this would be to start our own manufacturering again instead of importing it from the likes of China etc & hit their pockets. 

I don't know why we ever stopped manufacturing in the first place. 

Not having a first class, popular high volume British car made in the UK, for example, is a disgrace.

(And I don't count Morgan which makes about one car a week for a niche market.)

10 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Not having a first class, popular high volume British car made in the UK, for example, is a disgrace.

The cars we were producing were crap. Others did it better. People voted with their wallets. Also the government of the time when we were still manufacturers, prefered finance and service industries. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Anna B said:

6 minutes ago, blackydog said:

The cars we were producing were crap. Others did it better. People voted with their wallets. Also the government of the time when we were still manufacturers, prefered finance and service industries. 

Hmmm... :huh:

This has absolutely NOTHING to do with the union disputes at British Leyland, of course! :hihi:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

This has absolutely NOTHING to do with the union disputes at British Leyland, of course! :hihi:

Well there was that too. But come on, Morris Marina, Austin Princess, Austin Allegro. You cannot claim these were the pinnacle of automotive excellance when you compare what else was on the market from other manufacturers at the time

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

I offer you the Austin Allegro with its square steering wheel.  Only really useful as a plant pot.  A Trabant of the same time probably had a better build quality? 

3 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

I offer you the Austin Allegro with its square steering wheel.  Only really useful as a plant pot.  A Trabant of the same time probably had a better build quality? 

I don't think the Allrgro needs to take all the blame,  there are plenty of other examples of poor design! There are also many examples of poor build quality due to the 'workers ' preference to be out on strike rather than producing the product to the best quality possible. All other (foreign) manufacturers had to do was sit back and watch/ copy and improve/update  some of our efforts and they couldn't go wrong. 

• Like 1

I heard Lib Dems leader, Coun. Shaffaq Mohammed speaking on Radio Sheffield this morning further explaining how Sheffield has ended up with the upcoming CAZ.  

Coun. Mohammed explained that the whole process started back in 2017 following reports that Sheffield had some of the poorest air quality in England & the Govt instructed SCC to improve the conditions by coming up with proposals & the Govt would provide funds to implement SCC's preferred option.   Following an Executive Committee meeting, £I think Coun.  Mohammed said this was in 2019 (?) but all the documentation is available), the option chosen by the Committee was the CAZ with charges imposed.

Therefore at no time did central Govt mandate that Sheffield MUST have a CAZ with daily charging, it was entirely the decision of SCC's Executive Committee at that time.   Central Govt's only involvement was to offer funds to help set the CAZ up. 

Nice to hear at least one leader of a local political party being interviewed on the subject, given that the main man, Terry Fox appears to be missing in action. 

• Like 2