Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

1 minute ago, Planner1 said:

You could say that any road open to vehicles has polluting traffic on it.

Funny how when there's a restriction that people don't like, they wave the "polluting traffic card". Rest of the time, are they bothered about pollution?

The tram gates do actually make a difference to the trams.

Slightly obvious, even to the dim - they give the trams priority.

4 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Funny how when there's a restriction that people don't like, they wave the "polluting traffic card". Rest of the time, are they bothered about pollution?

That's because the restriction is maybe causing more pollution.Dont get me wrong if I could do my job by the using the tram or public transport I would but like many tradespeople it's just not possible .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mike1961 said:

That's because the restriction is maybe causing more pollution.Dont get me wrong if I could do my job by the using the tram or public transport I would but like many tradespeople it's just not possible .

Any additional amount will probably be fairly minor in the grand scale of things.

There's usually a downside when you put in a restriction to give one mode of transport over others.

It can be argued that prioritising public transport makes  it more of a viable option so encourages more  car owners to use it sometimes., which reduces pollution, so there is a positive aspect to trade off against any downside for other vehicles.

5 hours ago, Planner1 said:

And to the coffers of the SCC!!

Without any measured benefit to the electorate.

"Its all about the money money money" (paraphrasing Jesse J)

5 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Any additional amount will probably be fairly minor in the grand scale of things.

There's usually a downside when you put in a restriction to give one mode of transport over others.

It can be argued that prioritising public transport makes  it more of a viable option so encourages more  car owners to use it sometimes., which reduces pollution, so there is a positive aspect to trade off against any downside for other vehicles.

It can be argued that because public transport is not effective due to the lack of a coherent integrated transport policy that it forces the tax payers of the city (who actually need to get to work in a reasonable timescale) to take their cars. Which will increase pollution unless there was an effective ring road around the city.

Hmmm, perhaps an effective ring road could be a solution...

10 hours ago, Litotes said:

And to the coffers of the SCC!!

Without any measured benefit to the electorate.

"Its all about the money money money" (paraphrasing Jesse J)

Nope. The tram gates at Hillsborough make a significant time saving for trams (and buses), which is a benefit to “the electorate”. 

It’s nothing to do with making money. That is never ever the reason that these restrictions are put in place.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Nope. The tram gates at Hillsborough make a significant time saving for trams (and buses), which is a benefit to “the electorate”. 

It’s nothing to do with making money. That is never ever the reason that these restrictions are put in place.

CAZ is about making money though ,and if you're honest with yourself you know it is,it's just disguised as helping the environment.Over the last 10 years vehicles engines have become much much cleaner and lower emissions so on the whole apart from 2 relatively small areas in Sheffield the air is clean.Central government may have given the directive to implement a CAZ zone in Sheffield but it was down to local government to decide the size of the Zone and if there would be a charge or not ,SCC decided to charge perceived non compliant vehicles.

• Like 1