Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

21 hours ago, mike1961 said:

That's because the restriction is maybe causing more pollution.Dont get me wrong if I could do my job by the using the tram or public transport I would but like many tradespeople it's just not possible .

I agree. This applies to a lot of other people also.

But can't tradespeople at least claim for the charges on their annual tax return? 

Genuine question.

I understand of course that's it's even more faffing about that you can do without, but maybe if it diminishes the government's coffers rather than yours, they may think twice about these schemes.

Edited by Anna B

8 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

You assume all tradespeople are doing everything through the books. Believe me, that certainly wont be the case.

As we slowly move towards a cashless society then more and more work is paid for using card payments so the money goes straight into a bank account and is therefore traceable so you have no option but to declare it.very few people pay cash now which is partly due to the pandemic and people being worried about handling dirty notes.

1 minute ago, mike1961 said:

As we slowly move towards a cashless society then more and more work is paid for using card payments so the money goes straight into a bank account and is therefore traceable so you have no option but to declare it.very few people pay cash now which is partly due to the pandemic and people being worried about handling dirty notes.

A friend of mine who lives in a rural area recently had his bathroom done, the bloke who did it insisted on cash, mate had to go to the post office over multiple days to draw the correct amount out.

There will be people out there not putting every job through the books even now, of that there is no doubt.

1 hour ago, mike1961 said:

CAZ is about making money though ,and if you're honest with yourself you know it is,it's just disguised as helping the environment.Over the last 10 years vehicles engines have become much much cleaner and lower emissions so on the whole apart from 2 relatively small areas in Sheffield the air is clean.Central government may have given the directive to implement a CAZ zone in Sheffield but it was down to local government to decide the size of the Zone and if there would be a charge or not ,SCC decided to charge perceived non compliant vehicles.

If I’m honest, I think you are talking a load of nonsense.

The government have only acted because they have been prosecuted in court by environmental activists and the courts have made them act to correct the compliance issue as quickly as possible.

Councils are only implementing theses schemes because the government has made them, as a result of the court action.

To suggest that any of this has been done just to make money simply beggars belief.

The Council had to implement a CAZ and had to do a lot of work including modelling to find out which of the types of CAZ mandated by the government would do the job. The work that underpinned that choice had to be scrutinised by the government in a business case.

The council committee chair said that the government selected the CAZ boundary and I’ve not seen anything credible to suggest otherwise.

Yes nitrogen oxide emissions of vehicles are improving and I’d reckon that the government expected that this would lead to legal compliance at some point in the future. However, the courts have forcibly pointed out to them that the law applies now.

10 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

A friend of mine who lives in a rural area recently had his bathroom done, the bloke who did it insisted on cash, mate had to go to the post office over multiple days to draw the correct amount out.

There will be people out there not putting every job through the books even now, of that there is no doubt.

I would've told the Bathroom guy to do one.

Any worker that doesn't do it "by the book" has "dodgy/untrustworthy" written all over his face IMO.

13 minutes ago, mike1961 said:

Many tradespeople that I know still operate very much in a cash economy.

• Like 1

Just now, XPertByExperien said:

Any worker that doesn't do it "by the book" has "dodgy/untrustworthy" written all over his face IMO.

He wanted his bathroom doing, and did a good job. The tax affairs of the person doing it were none of his business. There is no comeback on the customer if the person who does the work for you doesnt pay his taxes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, XPertByExperien said:

My guy that I go to for pretty much everything house related is extremely trustworthy. Everytime he's done work on my house he's make an appointment to come back a few weeks later and check his work, make sure nothing has sunk/ come loose etc. I wouldn't call that dodgy. 

I pay him in cash, I get it a little cheaper. Nothing else is my problem. 

Nobody and I mean NOBODY in this life does things 100% to the book, anyone who says they do is one of the biggest liars on the planet. 

It's why I cringed with 2nd hand embarassment when everyone was kicking off at Boris's shindig. Not one single person followed the covid rules 100% all the time so everyone complaining was a massive hypocrit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2