Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

On 16/02/2023 at 12:19, ads36 said:

edit

that's a good question!

it's likely that as a private vehicle, this skoda will only visit the city centre once or twice a day.

as a taxi, it'll make multiple trips = more pollution.

Been thinking about yr reply and I get the logic behind it, however if I bought the said taxi and I worked in the city centre I'd still be traveling in and out of the city at least twice a day but because I now own it privately I won't get charged ( well for now anyway) but whilst it's a taxi the taxi driver would, doesn't make sense and wouldn't probably make sense in a court of law either.

• Like 1

On 20/02/2023 at 17:26, Planner1 said:

Well, they are legal limits and there’s no denying that they are being exceeded.  The courts have agreed with the activists ( who are lawyers) and insisted that the government ensures that the legal limits are achieved in the quickest possible time. There’s the prospect of huge fines if they don’t and the government have passed legislation to enable any fines to be passported directly to any councils where exceedences of legal limits are found.

So, unless councils toe the line and act, they could be facing multi million pound fines. The SCC committee chair also mentioned that the government had threatened to send in their inspectors to implement the CAZ if SCC didn’t. Neither of these scenarios would be attractive to local councillors, so you can well understand why they are getting on with it.

Well if this is correct it's a classic bit of nasty Tory buck passing.

They starve the councils of funds for years, and then threaten the councils with fines if they don't (or can't) do their bidding.

Just what cash strapped councils need in a crisis, multi-million pound fines...

Yes they will probably have been given some government money towards it, but you can bet it won't be enough. No wonder council tax is going up 5%, and for something the people of Sheffield didn't ask for and don't need.

So much for democracy.

Edited by Anna B

6 hours ago, Anna B said:

Yes they will probably have been given some government money towards it, but you can bet it won't be enough. No wonder council tax is going up 5%, and for something the people of Sheffield didn't ask for and don't need.

The council got £24 million from the government for setting up the CAZ and giving the grants for vehicle replacements and upgrades. I’ve never seen any suggestion they would need any more than that.

Theres an exceedance of a legal limit of pollutants, so I don’t think you can really claim that action isn’t needed. 

11 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

The council got £24 million from the government for setting up the CAZ and giving the grants for vehicle replacements and upgrades. I’ve never seen any suggestion they would need any more than that.

Theres an exceedance of a legal limit of pollutants, so I don’t think you can really claim that action isn’t needed. 

There's only an exceedance of legal limits in two areas of the city centre ,one around the train station and the other Arundel Gate

i do hope its not windy tomorrow or else the nasty fumes outside the CAZ might blow into the area???? unless the council have some magic barrier????planner1.

hope all the rat runs are going to be kept clear i reckon there will be a heap of congestion in certain areas making the fumes worse! you really couldnt make this up

• Like 1

Guest busdriver1
1 hour ago, ab6262 said:

i do hope its not windy tomorrow or else the nasty fumes outside the CAZ might blow into the area???? unless the council have some magic barrier????planner1.

hope all the rat runs are going to be kept clear i reckon there will be a heap of congestion in certain areas making the fumes worse! you really couldnt make this up

You clearly do not understand the nature of pollution in the city centre. We have been blessed with "smart Pollution" and it stays where it is supposed to be.  Train pollution NEVER goes outside the station and this is enforced at the barriers. 

I've just read that SCC still have 83 vehicle's in their fleet that do not meet the current clean air requirements and will therefore be charged if they enter the CAZ Zone.

So who will pay this charge ,and who will pay to replace these vehicles?

WE WILL !!!!!

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, mike1961 said:

I've just read that SCC still have 83 vehicle's in their fleet that do not meet the current clean air requirements and will therefore be charged if they enter the CAZ Zone.

So who will pay this charge ,and who will pay to replace these vehicles?

WE WILL !!!!!

You do realise that for decades we have all paid for the updating of the vehicle fleet of local authorities, dont you? Unless they are still using vans from the 1950s and nobody noticed?

5 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

You do realise that for decades we have all paid for the updating of the vehicle fleet of local authorities, dont you? Unless they are still using vans from the 1950s and nobody noticed?

Of course I do ,but this is an expense that isn't needed 

I thought that SCC had offloaded most of the vehicles they used to own when they decided it was best to use contractors instead of having their own work force.  Each department (Water, Roads  lighting and others) all had their own vehicles.  I don't know what or how many they own now (obviously they do as per the post) and I  guess any that don't comply will have to be replaced.