Would You Vote For A British Republic?

25 minutes ago, m williamson said:

Whatever are you blathering on about? Is anything that I've posted about the necessity to take the oath of allegiance in order to work in certain occupations incorrect?

As for my ' enforced exile from society ' I did okay as it happens, ran my own business for sixteen years, sold it and retired,  before that I worked in senior management for a couple of PLCs and one international company.

During that period I met a royal prince when he came to open our regional office in Manchester where I was based. He spent the morning and lunchtime with us which included a forty minute conversation with my MD and me in my office. I treat him in exactly the same way that I treat any other guest, politely. On no occasion did I call him sir and he didn't seem to mind. I've also met and held conversations with a Head of State and John Charles, who was a gentleman.

So you see Rr I haven't been in exile enforced or otherwise.

Take care.

You just can't help yourself can you.

1 hour ago, m williamson said:

The oath should be to the country, how could anyone object to swearing such an oath?  Those with an objection on principle to the institution of monarchy have every right to hold such a view and as said it prevents them from taking part in certain occupations.

Another alternative would be to swear an oath to the constitution, but in order for that to happen in this country we would need a written constitution that could be understood and agreed to by the public.

The current situation is anachronistic and divisive. The oath should be to the country, which is what should be being served not an archaic institution represented by far from perfect people who may well cause the country severe embarrassment at some point. 

If you can find enough people to agree with you, feel free to petition your politicians.

But it may be hard, given that nobody can even agree on what a man, or a woman, is!

Or last option, do what I did and get out of the damned place! 😀

34 minutes ago, m williamson said:

Whatever are you blathering on about? Is anything that I've posted about the necessity to take the oath of allegiance in order to work in certain occupations incorrect?

As for my ' enforced exile from society ' I did okay as it happens, ran my own business for sixteen years, sold it and retired,  before that I worked in senior management for a couple of PLCs and one international company.

During that period I met a royal prince when he came to open our regional office in Manchester where I was based. He spent the morning and lunchtime with us which included a forty minute conversation with my MD and me in my office. I treat him in exactly the same way that I treat any other guest, politely. On no occasion did I call him sir and he didn't seem to mind. I've also met and held conversations with a Head of State and John Charles, who was a gentleman.

So you see Rr I haven't been in exile enforced or otherwise.

Take care.

So why in #68 do you complain that 

However, that being the case it has debarred me from certain opportunities and certain careers hasn't it? I could not join the police force, the armed services, the judiciary, become an MP or serve as a magistrate among other occupations. All of them require an oath to the crown,  that means that if you are someone who believes in keeping a sworn oath you are excluded. On two separate occassions I was encouraged by serving magistrates to apply to become a JP, I would have done so but couldn't because of the oath.

2 minutes ago, trastrick said:

If you can find enough people to agree with you, feel free to petition your politicians.

But it may be hard, given that nobody can even agree on what a man, or a woman, is!

Or last option, do what I did and get out of the damned place! 😀

As I said in my very first post on this subject it will never happen. The people in this country are raised to be servile and know their place,  enough of them accept that situation or don't care one way or the other so unless something major happens there won't be change.

Too many family members that I care about here for me to leave.

3 minutes ago, m williamson said:

As I said in my very first post on this subject it will never happen. The people in this country are raised to be servile and know their place,  enough of them accept that situation or don't care one way or the other so unless something major happens there won't be change.

Too many family members that I care about here for me to leave.

Sorry M, but what absolute cobblers.

The people in the UK have the option to be or do whatever they want within the parameters of the law. Whether they take that option or not is entirely their decision, it's nothing to do with " knowing their place"

You sound really bitter, with respect.

4 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

So why in #68 do you complain that 

However, that being the case it has debarred me from certain opportunities and certain careers hasn't it? I could not join the police force, the armed services, the judiciary, become an MP or serve as a magistrate among other occupations. All of them require an oath to the crown,  that means that if you are someone who believes in keeping a sworn oath you are excluded. On two separate occassions I was encouraged by serving magistrates to apply to become a JP, I would have done so but couldn't because of the oath.

You can't understand why I would make that point even though ( apart from the JP thing ) it hasn't effected me personally? Because it's a fact which has effected people and it's divisive. A lot of people have no time for royalty, some of them in my opinion go over the top and get abusive about it. I'm not a fan of the people concerned but it's the institution which needs to be done away with not the people themselves in my view.

Anyway thanks for replying with a reasonable question.

12 minutes ago, m williamson said:

You can't understand why I would make that point even though ( apart from the JP thing ) it hasn't effected me personally? Because it's a fact which has effected people and it's divisive. A lot of people have no time for royalty, some of them in my opinion go over the top and get abusive about it. I'm not a fan of the people concerned but it's the institution which needs to be done away with not the people themselves in my view.

Anyway thanks for replying with a reasonable question.

I can't understand why you feel the need to (as mentioned before) to lead with an insult or put down in most of your posts.

Obviously it must be something you feel compelled to do.

You have fun 🎣 🤣

2 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Sorry M, but what absolute cobblers.

The people in the UK have the option to be or do whatever they want within the parameters of the law. Whether they take that option or not is entirely their decision, it's nothing to do with " knowing their place"

You sound really bitter, with respect.

I'm not bitter, why would I be? It's come to something if pointing out salient facts about a particular subject leads to personal remarks and cod psychology. Perhaps the particular subject is what led to that?

The people in the UK have the option to be or do whatever they want? You don't appear to be paying too much attention. In the UK parliament is sovereign, in a true republic  the people are sovereign and are protected against the power of the state by the constitution which cannot be altered without their permission. The current government is working on a way to curtail peaceful demonstrations https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/police-crime-bill-uk-what-to-know-protesting/ they haven't quite managed it yet but they'll keep at it.

Politicians in this country treat the public with contempt. When an alternative to FPTP was offered they took care not to offer PR even though PR has been used in part of the UK since 1973.

Now, I like to point out things like that but it doesn't effect my mood in any particular way, I'm old enough to know that whittling about something that you can't change is an otiose exercise.

I don't even worry about the performance of the Blades anymore.

1 hour ago, Rockers rule said:

Do you not read your own dribble?

quote; This is a forum, not the Oxford Union debating society.

No one has 'Debarred' you from anything you have 'Debased' your self 🤣 🤣.

You keep safe out there in your own enforced exile from society 8)  

What's that first sentence if not an insult?  You really should calm down and take a look in the mirror