Would You Vote For A British Republic?

20 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

With all the embarrasment  Phillip, Charles and Andrew caused their mother when she was alive they  deserved to be exiled, as for Anne put her in a field to graze and chuck her the odd carrot, she will be happy with that, not to forget little old Edward, just leave him in permanent hibernation then Crown William and make Starmer primeminister then we should have the makings of a well run and organised country, if William messes up ship him off to America to be the with the two clowns that are already there then Starmer can rule. :hihi::clap:

Maybe they could adopt Mr. Starmer ?

1 hour ago, harvey19 said:

He is your king and you are one of his subjects, like it or not but that is a fact.

Well he certainly isn't mine. I'm no man, woman or childs subject. You may be content to be servile and believe that there are people better than you simply because they were born into a certain family but a significant number of people have decided they are no longer serfs who have to show deference to anyone, and in particular not to people of disreputable character.

Before you argue about my status I should inform you that I have dual nationality as a birthright and chose the passport of a Republic, which makes me a citizen of that country and no ones vassal.

9 minutes ago, m williamson said:

Well he certainly isn't mine. I'm no man, woman or childs subject. You may be content to be servile and believe that there are people better than you simply because they were born into a certain family but a significant number of people have decided they are no longer serfs who have to show deference to anyone, and in particular not to people of disreputable character.

Before you argue about my status I should inform you that I have dual nationality as a birthright and chose the passport of a Republic, which makes me a citizen of that country and no ones vassal.

Why don't you give up your British passport if you feel so strongly ?

1 minute ago, harvey19 said:

Why don't you give up your British passport if you feel so strongly ?

I haven't got a British passport.

If I wanted one I could get one  and also retain my current passport, but why would I do that? There is no reason whatsoever for me to need a British passport.

The only thing that I feel strongly about is the continuing nonsense of a monarchy in this day and age. The queen was a very clever woman and played the part brilliantly. Her offspring are neither as clever or as reputable as she was. Given the intrusive nature of todays media and the interest in the royal family ( which is exactly the same kind of interest as people have about the Kardashians ) it is only a matter of time before the country is embarrassed by their behaviour.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, m williamson said:

I haven't got a British passport.

If I wanted one I could get one  and also retain my current passport, but why would I do that? There is no reason whatsoever for me to need a British passport.

The only thing that I feel strongly about is the continuing nonsense of a monarchy in this day and age. The queen was a very clever woman and played the part brilliantly. Her offspring are neither as clever or as reputable as she was. Given the intrusive nature of todays media and the interest in the royal family ( which is exactly the same kind of interest as people have about the Kardashians ) it is only a matter of time before the country is embarrassed by their behaviour.

Quite possible.

We all have different views on things and reasons why we support or do not support them . Do not confuse my support for a monarchy and view of some members of it.

I thought when you said about your dual nationality you were referring to British as well as a Republic.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Quite possible.

We all have different views on things and reasons why we support or do not support them . Do not confuse my support for a monarchy and view of some members of it.

I thought when you said about your dual nationality you were referring to British as well as a Republic.

My problem with the monarchy is the institution itself, it's divisive, anachronistic, completely undemocratic and makes the country look like Ruritania, much to the amusement of many non British people.

I was referring to British as well as a Republic. As I said, if I wanted a British one I could, but there's no need. I've been using my current passport since 1972 with no problem whatsoever.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, m williamson said:

My problem with the monarchy is the institution itself, it's divisive, anachronistic, completely undemocratic and makes the country look like Ruritania, much to the amusement of many non British people.

I was referring to British as well as a Republic. As I said, if I wanted a British one I could, but there's no need. I've been using my current passport since 1972 with no problem whatsoever.

I appreciate this will sound daft to you but because of the reasons you state above and others that is what makes it unique.

I have stated before and you may find it boring to hear again but to me the value of our monarchy is that  in times of war or such like the whole population can unite behind it regardless of political beliefs. It enables the armed forces, police and other public bodies to swear allegiance to a non political body.

Its the Monarchys country and theirs alone, it always has been and boy have they had the cream and everything else it has to offer,  land, the power which ensures wealth which provides all the luxuries unimagineable,  its never been the peoples country.  :roll:

Edited by PRESLEY

2 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

I appreciate this will sound daft to you but because of the reasons you state above and others that is what makes it unique.

I have stated before and you may find it boring to hear again but to me the value of our monarchy is that  in times of war or such like the whole population can unite behind it regardless of political beliefs. It enables the armed forces, police and other public bodies to swear allegiance to a non political body.

Ukraine is a republic, it has had no problem uniting to face an aggressor.

I completely disagree with the idea that the monarchy is a unifying force. It is the exact opposite.

Many people in this country including me would never take an oath to the monarch, but few if any would refuse to take an oath to the country.

The country belongs to all of us, the monarchy only to those who accept subservience.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

It enables the armed forces, police and other public bodies to swear allegiance to a non political body.

Unfortunately it also gets down to that other important bit in that in the history of the monarchy in that they only got to where they are because of the power of religion and being the defenders of the faith, and that's as far as the non politica bit come about. That was used to control and to con the uneducated peasants at the time into believing that the Kings were put there by God and had a divine right to rule over them.

Edited by Dromedary
did a slinny
  • Like 1