Would You Vote For A British Republic?

I'm a republican and would vote for a British Republic, however I totally accept that it will never happen. The British are raised to be servile and accept their place. Not every British person goes along with that, but enough do to allow the anachronistic nonsense to continue.

This country has a dirge of an anthem which proclaims a wish for the unelected sovereign to long reign over us. Parliament is sovereign, not the people. An unelected Upper House has an input into political decisions, the voting system isn't fit for purpose allowing a political party to have an unassailable majority despite less than half of the electorate voting for them. We have an unwritten constitution meaning that it is indecipherable to the general public and requires a constitutional expert to explain it.

A genuine democracy has a written constitution laying down the citizens rights and responsibilities in a way that any reasonably intelligent person can understand and anyone applying to become a citizen can both understand and be questioned on.

The people are sovereign, the constitution has been agreed and voted on and the state cannot change it without the peoples permission obtained by referendum.

That's a true democracy, what we have is a pretend democracy where the people are allowed to vote in a system which doesn't reflect their wishes but suits the politicians who were elected under the unfit for purpose system which they wish to retain and they have nothing but contempt for the general public.

Having got that off my chest I can assure all of you who can see no problem with our current system that you have absolutely no need to worry. 

As I said in the first sentence, it won't change, it suits those in power and they don't care what we think.

3 hours ago, makapaka said:

I’m no royalist but the last thing this country needs is another divisive vote.

At the moment I have to agree with this too.

I think Charles will change the style of the monarchy and modernise it somewhat. I hope he has the guts to stand up to the men in grey suits who run the show and will do anything to preserve the antiquated regime (not to mention their own jobs and power...) He understands that the world has changed and is a very different place to the one his mother inhabited. Basically he's now in a very peculiar strand of showbiz.  

Edited by Anna B

9 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Thinking about the monarch and any effect on the public of the funds spent on  it - ----- I have decided that i'd rather have my mate Flapper as the head of state.  Minimal cost, and far less potential  PR disaster going forward.,

While it may sound a good idea Thirsty, I have reservations about the cost of elocution lessons Flapper would require.

Can we really have a uncouth parrot as head of state?

9 hours ago, Padders said:

I've consumed a massive amount of Alcohol tonight.

So I'm having to sleep on this.

9 hours ago, Longcol said:

The floor in Padders Bar?

In't gutter again 

See the source image

8 hours ago, m williamson said:

I'm a republican and would vote for a British Republic, however I totally accept that it will never happen. The British are raised to be servile and accept their place. Not every British person goes along with that, but enough do to allow the anachronistic nonsense to continue.

This country has a dirge of an anthem which proclaims a wish for the unelected sovereign to long reign over us. Parliament is sovereign, not the people. An unelected Upper House has an input into political decisions, the voting system isn't fit for purpose allowing a political party to have an unassailable majority despite less than half of the electorate voting for them. We have an unwritten constitution meaning that it is indecipherable to the general public and requires a constitutional expert to explain it.

A genuine democracy has a written constitution laying down the citizens rights and responsibilities in a way that any reasonably intelligent person can understand and anyone applying to become a citizen can both understand and be questioned on.

The people are sovereign, the constitution has been agreed and voted on and the state cannot change it without the peoples permission obtained by referendum.

That's a true democracy, what we have is a pretend democracy where the people are allowed to vote in a system which doesn't reflect their wishes but suits the politicians who were elected under the unfit for purpose system which they wish to retain and they have nothing but contempt for the general public.

Having got that off my chest I can assure all of you who can see no problem with our current system that you have absolutely no need to worry. 

As I said in the first sentence, it won't change, it suits those in power and they don't care what we think.

BLAH BLAH BLAH 😴

3 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

But why?

Why indeed 8)

Why vote for a Republic :huh: 

Go out and find one. 

Send us a card :wave:

2 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

O! yer up then 🤣.

Me too, Loooooong time ago now,

Happy Daze 🥺

(Won't be long before your sabbatical will it?)

Keep safe out there 8)

Spot on Rocker!

At the moment I'm giving the ball a kick,

I nearly burst the ruddy thing last night.

• Haha 1