Would You Vote For A British Republic?

2 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Did you listen to her ?

My wife is non confrontational and dislikes arguments. During the fifty years we have been married she has very rarely ever told me what to do.

On the other hand, she is the daughter of a former Colour Sergeant Major who was awarded the MM at Tobruk in WW2. That being the case on those very few occasions that she has explained what precisely she would like me to do I have given it carefull consideration and have tended to go along with her point of view.

Discretion being the better part of valour.

8 hours ago, m williamson said:

My wife is non confrontational and dislikes arguments. During the fifty years we have been married she has very rarely ever told me what to do.

On the other hand, she is the daughter of a former Colour Sergeant Major who was awarded the MM at Tobruk in WW2. That being the case on those very few occasions that she has explained what precisely she would like me to do I have given it carefull consideration and have tended to go along with her point of view.

Discretion being the better part of valour.

My father was at the siege of Tobruk in 1941. 
From what I have read they had a dreadful time.

Are you aware service records can be obtained from the M.O.D. which your wife may find interesting in relation to her father’s military history.

Edited by harvey19

48 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Are you aware service records can be obtained from the M.O.D. which your wife may find interesting in relation to her father’s military history.

Just sticking my oar in on that point. I applied for both my parents war records. They make really fascinating reading and I learned lots of bits I never knew. Highly recommended for anyone wanting to know more of their parents earlier lives.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Minimo said:

Just sticking my oar in on that point. I applied for both my parents war records. They make really fascinating reading and I learned lots of bits I never knew. Highly recommended for anyone wanting to know more of their parents earlier lives.

It is possible to get the recommendation for someone to receive a medal. The actual citation is often not available but the recommendation details the reasons for considering  awarding a medal or mid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, harvey19 said:

Yes one of my daughters has looked up the records for both her grandfathers.

That generation were something special. What regiment was your father in?  The father-in-law was in the Royal Artillery at that time. His recommendation for the medal was signed by Auchinleck and we have a letter to him signed by Churchill commending him for his actions.

My father served in France, North Africa and Italy. He was at Dunkirk but only told amusing storys about those years. To hear him tell it it was a bit of a laugh with the lads in foreign parts!

I found out a little more shortly before he died and it turned out it wasn't quite like that.

10 minutes ago, m williamson said:

Yes one of my daughters has looked up the records for both her grandfathers.

That generation were something special. What regiment was your father in?  The father-in-law was in the Royal Artillery at that time. His recommendation for the medal was signed by Auchinleck and we have a letter to him signed by Churchill commending him for his actions.

My father served in France, North Africa and Italy. He was at Dunkirk but only told amusing storys about those years. To hear him tell it it was a bit of a laugh with the lads in foreign parts!

I found out a little more shortly before he died and it turned out it wasn't quite like that.

My father was also Royal Artillery.

153 battery, 51st Heavy Anti Aircraft Regiment. It was a London regt. but my father was with them because of his trade artificer.

Kenneth Rankin was a subaltern in the regt. and has written about their time in Tobruk. The books are Top Hats in Tobruk and Lest We Forget.

He was in I think 12th or 13th Light anti aircraft regt. initially, a Sheffield regt. who were also at Tobruk.

Edited by harvey19