Would You Vote For A British Republic?

1 hour ago, m williamson said:

When was the last time I was forced to show deference and obedience to the royal family? I haven't been forced to because I'm neither loyal to them or in any way deferential to them.

However, that being the case it has debarred me from certain opportunities and certain careers hasn't it? I could not join the police force, the armed services, the judiciary, become an MP or serve as a magistrate among other occupations. All of them require an oath to the crown,  that means that if you are someone who believes in keeping a sworn oath you are excluded. On two separate occassions I was encouraged by serving magistrates to apply to become a JP, I would have done so but couldn't because of the oath.

You have a point, but all civil servants, (even Royalty) have to swear an oath, either to the Country,  a Constitution, the Head of State, or a Religion, depending on where you happen to be born.

There has to be a specific law against treasonous people in office, to charge them with  if they  break it.

Can't let everybody decide for themselves what the oath should cover?

11 hours ago, m williamson said:

As a matter of interest could you explain to me why you are a royalist? Do you truly believe that someone is ' Born to Reign ' over you ?

Do you believe that as a result of being born into a particular family it makes that person and their family in some way superior to you and yours and therefore  entitled to your deference and obedience?

Alternatively, is it just that it's the way its always been that way and you don't like the idea of change? If the former then you are a true royalist, if the latter you are more of a status quoist " that's the way it's always been and I don't like change ".

In what way does the Royal family's reign over you affect your life?

Quick tip....

It doesn't.

1 minute ago, trastrick said:

You have a point, but all civil servants, (even Royalty) have to swear an oath, either to the Country,  a Constitution, the Head of State, or a Religion, depending on where you happen to be born.

There has to be a specific law against treasonous people in office, to charge them with  if they  break it.

The oath should be to the country, how could anyone object to swearing such an oath?  Those with an objection on principle to the institution of monarchy have every right to hold such a view and as said it prevents them from taking part in certain occupations.

Another alternative would be to swear an oath to the constitution, but in order for that to happen in this country we would need a written constitution that could be understood and agreed to by the public.

The current situation is anachronistic and divisive. The oath should be to the country, which is what should be being served not an archaic institution represented by far from perfect people who may well cause the country severe embarrassment at some point. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, crookesey said:

I’ll try again.

If Charles and Camilla were to have a grand royal bash at Buck House  that was attacked by terrorists, killing all and sundry, could the following apply? The next in line being a person so far down it that even the best royal watchers had never heard of them, would the succession be finite, even if they were totally unsuitable? :huh:

Have you ever seen the film  King Ralph ? 😃

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

In what way does the Royal family's reign over you affect your life?

Quick tip....

It doesn't.

Read my previous post about the effect the oath of allegiance has on being able to take part in certain occupations. Or don't you believe that being debarred from choosing certain trades or professions has any effect on a person?

For your information the monarch does not reign over me.

2 hours ago, m williamson said:

When was the last time I was forced to show deference and obedience to the royal family? I haven't been forced to because I'm neither loyal to them or in any way deferential to them.

However, that being the case it has debarred me from certain opportunities and certain careers hasn't it? I could not join the police force, the armed services, the judiciary, become an MP or serve as a magistrate among other occupations. All of them require an oath to the crown,  that means that if you are someone who believes in keeping a sworn oath you are excluded. On two separate occassions I was encouraged by serving magistrates to apply to become a JP, I would have done so but couldn't because of the oath.

In this country the Prime Minister has taken an oath of allegiance to the monarch, every tuesday when parliament is in session the PM travels to visit them in order to keep them informed. The sovereign isn't supposed to interfere with the governance of the country but it is admitted they have ' influence '.  https://politics.stackexchange.com/questions/32081/why-does-the-british-pm-meet-the-queen-every-week

I'd imagine that faced with the person you have sworn to obey that ' influence ' is quite a lot. This country isn't a true democracy in the real sense.

Do I? Or do I retort in kind as happened on this occasion?   ' Constantly hanker for a debate '  Remind me again what is the purpose of this forum?

Do you not read your own dribble?

quote; This is a forum, not the Oxford Union debating society.

No one has 'Debarred' you from anything you have 'Debased' your self 🤣 🤣.

You keep safe out there in your own enforced exile from society 8)  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rockers rule said:

Do you not read your own dribble?

quote; This is a forum, not the Oxford Union debating society.

No one has 'Debarred' you from anything you have 'Debased' your self 🤣 🤣.

You keep safe out there in your own enforced exile from society 8)  

Whatever are you blathering on about? Is anything that I've posted about the necessity to take the oath of allegiance in order to work in certain occupations incorrect?

As for my ' enforced exile from society ' I did okay as it happens, ran my own business for sixteen years, sold it and retired,  before that I worked in senior management for a couple of PLCs and one international company.

During that period I met a royal prince when he came to open our regional office in Manchester where I was based. He spent the morning and lunchtime with us which included a forty minute conversation with my MD and me in my office. I treat him in exactly the same way that I treat any other guest, politely. On no occasion did I call him sir and he didn't seem to mind. I've also met and held conversations with a Head of State and John Charles, who was a gentleman.

So you see Rr I haven't been in exile enforced or otherwise.

Take care.

58 minutes ago, m williamson said:

Read my previous post about the effect the oath of allegiance has on being able to take part in certain occupations. Or don't you believe that being debarred from choosing certain trades or professions has any effect on a person?

For your information the monarch does not reign over me.

So to summarize.

It has absolutely zero affect on your life.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, trastrick said:

Shuffling the deck if you are not happy with the cards you are dealt, is no guarantee of a better hand.

It's been done throughout history.

Chopping off their heads, and and lining them up before firing squads, with mixed results. Even with today's more "intelligent" ways of fomenting revolution.

With Charles 1 you got Cromwell

Oliver Cromwell is considered the 10th Greatest Briton in history by the UK public...

...literally the "father of democracy"! :roll: :loopy:

With Louis 14 you got Robespeare and Napoleon,

With Czar Alexander you got Stalin

Cromwell was offered the crown by Parliament, he turned it down. :roll:

With the Sha of Persia, you got the mad Mullah's of Iran

Invading Afghanistan you got the Taliban

With Saddam, Khadaffi, and you got Iraq and Libya

Hmmm, wonder what these have in common? :roll:

And you got South Africa, formerly a rich World power, now a basket case.

South Africa was never a World Power, ever... a regional super power... sure.

Now they are trying to depose Putin, we'll see how that one works out!

"They" :hihi: :loopy:

1 hour ago, trastrick said:

So, not the thing you've been doing for the last two years.... :roll: