Standing At Sky. Edge .

cuttsie

I saw it in 2019 when it premiered. An excellent evenings entertainment, even if you don't live in a flat!

Although set in a different era, with it being based on Sheffield's history, it reminded me of other brilliant production 'The Stirrings in Sheffield on a Saturday Night' which I saw at the old Playhouse in 1968 and again at the Crucible in the '70s.

I even brought a bus load of 13 year olds from Wakefield to see it as they were studying the Industrial Revolution .

I would go again to see it if it ever returns.

echo.

Edited by echo beach

12 hours ago, cuttsie said:

I saw  this production at the Crucible yesterday .

A absolute masterpiece  written by Chris Bush and our own Richard Hawley .  ( A blue plaque awaiting for him and Joe Cocker out side the Town Hall  surely ,)

This masterpiece of Sheffield history brought me to tears . Do not miss it .

I was there last night too.

It’s a brilliant play. I understood it all, even though I live in a house.

Second time for me, I saw it on the original run. I hope it transfers well to the national theatre, but I have a few doubts about that.

Anyone who lived or went to school on Park Hill been to see it yet?  Captures the grim times well, or is it RADA  does the poors while name-checking Henderson's?

50 minutes ago, Hecate said:

Anyone who lived or went to school on Park Hill been to see it yet?  Captures the grim times well, or is it RADA  does the poors while name-checking Henderson's?

Well, it is a musical. So, unless the 80s on Park Hill were characterised by people singing Richard Hawley songs and having a bit of a dance, I guess that it isn’t that true to life.

The play contrasts the experiences of three sets of people living in the flats, from the optimism of the sixties, through the dismal 80s and then onto the gentrification that’s happening now.

Its a bit bleak at times. And a bit romanticised.   Overall it is simply a snapshot of how that building and its occupants have changed over the last 50 years.

With added Henderson’s jokes and Thatcher references.

Plenty of tickets left, it’s on for another month.