Gender Recognition

It's beyond belief that  the Scottish version  of gender recognition legislation has been passed.

I sincerely hope that the UK Government knock it back.  Holyrood  can threaten as much as they like.Arrogant ar....

"While the aim of self-ID policies are clearly well-intentioned, ultimately a system of self-declaration without safeguards will always be open to abuse from predatory men or those acting in bad faith."

Quote BBC.

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

As its in a totally different part of the UK, and you are not 16 or 17, how does this affect your life Pete?

Bet he lives in a bungalow (if you know what I'm saying!)

• Haha 1

HehasRisen,

I think of the UK as precisely that -a single united country.So I care about what goes on up there.

I care about the knock on implications of the legislation on Women's rights.

In addition, I think 16 is far too young for a person to embark on gender reassignment.

• Like 3

Interesting and informative Observer editorial on the issue from last week here: The Observer view on Scotland’s controversial proposed gender reforms.

The respectful compromise would be to introduce a form of legal self-identification for gender identity for trans people while clarifying that this does not change someone’s sex for the purposes of the Equality Act. A clear distinction between gender identity and biological sex in law would balance the legitimate rights of trans people and those of women, protecting both groups against discrimination but establishing beyond doubt that it is lawful to provide female-only services for women as a matter of privacy, dignity and safety. But in Scotland and Westminster, self-described progressive politicians have proved too gutless to advocate balance and compromise. It is marginalised women – in prison, in domestic abuse services, and who require intimate care as a result of disability – who will bear the consequences of their cowardice.

The Observer seems rather more willing than its sister paper to step up and do more than tip-toe nervously around the issue.