Gender Recognition

39 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

this attention seeking fashion is now really getting out of hand, i blame the media and even schools that now promote this as normal! and ok in years to come there are going to be a fair few screwed up confused lives.

Indeed.

I find it quite sad to be honest. 

The 16 year olds need help, not a license to go and change their gender. It's absolutely ridiculous to the point of it being cruel.

9 hours ago, Dromedary said:

I agree but just what percentage of people do you believe that actually covers?

Probably not very many....It's not something I've researched in any great depth.

In the 1980s when Caroline Cosey's story came to prominence (she was a Bond girl, forget which film), I read her autobiography, and it was interesting and informative.

1 hour ago, ab6262 said:

this attention seeking fashion is now really getting out of hand, i blame the media and even schools that now promote this as normal! and ok in years to come there are going to be a fair few screwed up confused lives.

I don't think schools are promoting this. Or at least I've not read anything to suggest that they are.

There are a small number of people who have gender dysphoria. I would support their right to have treatment on the NHS, and to live their lives free from prejudice and discrimination.

I understand that this debate was sparked by reports about the Tavistock clinic in London, which some felt were not as rigourous as they should be in their practice.

I think the who issue of transgendered people does pose challenges in a number of ways, and to be honest I wouldn't know where to start....

20 hours ago, Hecate said:

Interesting and informative Observer editorial on the issue from last week here: The Observer view on Scotland’s controversial proposed gender reforms.

The Observer seems rather more willing than its sister paper to step up and do more than tip-toe nervously around the issue.

I'll have to be honest and say that I'm not well informed when it comes to this issue.

I know that there is a small number of people who have gender dysphoria, who have a strong sense that they were born as the wrong sex. Is this a genetic condition?

There is also the issue of 'self identification'. As I understand it, (perhaps I'm wrong), that someone who feels they are born as the wrong sex, have to live as a member of the opposite gender for a period of time before they can start treatment.

What I don't understand is, are there people who don't have this strong impulse from a very young age, who want to self identify as the opposite sex? I wonder what this is about? Is it because they feel they can't, or don't want to conform to society's image of what male and female is?

I know that some women feel threatened by the thought of non biological females being in the same space as them (e.g. single sex toilets and changing rooms), and that for some is understandable. 

As a male, it wouldn't bother me to share a changing  room with a F to M transgendered person, but then I've not had the experiences of being female, and the threats to my safety that sometimes being a female can happen.

Edited by Mister M