Over 50s Encouraged To End Retirement.

'Older people who have given up work could be offered what is being dubbed a "midlife MoT" to entice them back into employment', states the story. 

So we're talking about the highly educated who ended up working in good, well paid jobs or individuals who took a risk to start their own businesses & all who will have paid their dues & demands to the various Govts of the day & are now in a position to live their lives in comfort & at their own pace. 

These jobs that that the above are expected to fill?  I insist that the skivers & shirkers be given a chance & offered them first.  That way with a bit of hard graft, they could maybe end up joining the above. 

Edited by Baron99

Having spent a couple of periods on't dole through no fault of my own (one firm I worked for went into receivership, t'other the owner retired and closed the business.

There can't be many who haven't been made redundant at some point, even more so nowadays.

There's no such thing as working for the same firm for 40 years,  them days have gone.

Every one on't dole isn't a skiver

But for the older person that shouldn't matter anyway because, as we all know there's no such thing as ageism in the job market.

Probably why they tell you not to put your age on a CV nowadays :suspect:.

Bin - Interview.

Keep safe out there

IT'S CHRISTMAS 🎅

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cressida said:

Older people who have given up work could be offered what is being dubbed a "midlife MoT" to entice them back into employment, the Times reports.

The paper says the MoT would assess finances and opportunities for work.

It follows a recent House of Lords committee finding that a wave of early retirement following the pandemic has caused a huge labour shortage.

It's just poorly done spin, like what Tony Blair got criticised for.

They cannot put retirees at the front of the NHS queue and they cannot entice them with money.

well i say how do we fill 1.2 million jobs most manual ,but we have about the same signing on ,but many on here think they should not take jobs at minimum wage ,so fat chance of those signing on doing it is there? the universal credit do help low wages in fact those on 16 hours get great top ups.

If someone in their 50’s retires on a decent pension that places them on what would have been a poor salary wants to supplement it they shouldn’t do it by taking the job opportunity of someone of a lesser employment status than themselves.

These guys and gals have most probably taken early retirement as an option, subject to them not being in certain public sector positions. They shouldn’t  just walk into someone’s rightful position at will, they should have thought of the salary drop before they made their early retirement decision  IMHO.

Edited by crookesey

3 hours ago, Tipstaff said:

I'm dreading retirement!  However, now that there's no compulsory retirement age (65) I think I shall work well into my 80's.  That way, I can pay my fuel bills and still afford to pop and see my grandchildren and have the odd holiday.

The buggers keep moving the goal post Tipstaff.

Hasn't been 65 for a while. 67 (or in your 67th year is the new 65 :suspect:.

Perhaps the OP should have read 'Over -50s-encouraged-not-to-even-think-of-retiring':suspect: :suspect:.

Eat, sleep, work, pay yer tax's💀.

Other than that keep safe 

and best of luck getting through 2023 8)

14 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

The buggers keep moving the goal post Tipstaff.

Hasn't been 65 for a while. 67 (or in your 67th year is the new 65 :suspect:.

Perhaps the OP should have read 'Over -50s-encouraged-not-to-even-think-of-retiring':suspect: :suspect:.

Eat, sleep, work, pay yer tax's💀.

Other than that keep safe 

and best of luck getting through 2023 8)

Cheers! I have to wait until I'm 66 rears and 3 months old to claim my state pension.  This is a diabolical liberty as I have worked since I was 16 years old!

The best of luck to all during this difficult time 

• Thanks 1