Over 50s Encouraged To End Retirement.

10 hours ago, Tipstaff said:

Cheers! I have to wait until I'm 66 rears and 3 months old to claim my state pension.  This is a diabolical liberty as I have worked since I was 16 years old!

The best of luck to all during this difficult time 

Not saying you should put more than 50 years in Tipstaff but it's only the same as me when I left school and started work down the pit at 15 and retired at 65 and the poor buggers just before me left school at 14 and started work and retired at 65.

• Like 1

On 26/12/2022 at 09:27, crookesey said:

If someone in their 50’s retires on a decent pension that places them on what would have been a poor salary wants to supplement it they shouldn’t do it by taking the job opportunity of someone of a lesser employment status than themselves.

These guys and gals have most probably taken early retirement as an option, subject to them not being in certain public sector positions. They shouldn’t  just walk into someone’s rightful position at will, they should have thought of the salary drop before they made their early retirement decision  IMHO.

If that’s a genuine post, then it’s not the case, at present anyway, that retirees will be taking jobs from the more needy. There is a labour shortage, otherwise the government wouldn’t give a hoot about coaxing anyone out of retirement.  They are also trying to support getting the long term sick back into employment and reduce long term sickness absence amongst other things.  IMO they need to look at WHY so many take early retirement or go on long term sick. 

3 hours ago, redruby said:

If that’s a genuine post, then it’s not the case, at present anyway, that retirees will be taking jobs from the more needy. There is a labour shortage, otherwise the government wouldn’t give a hoot about coaxing anyone out of retirement.  They are also trying to support getting the long term sick back into employment and reduce long term sickness absence amongst other things.  IMO they need to look at WHY so many take early retirement or go on long term sick. 

Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother,  in later life,  stayed in most of the time in Clarence House,  could be why she lived until over 100 years,  because of Covid I and others have stayed in most of the time - card from the King👍

I was made redundant at 50, got another job, but on less pay. Worked my way back up, retired at 60, as my state pittance paid out then. Because I’d saved for an occupational pension in my later years, my state pension isn’t much,  as I didn’t have enough NI contributions.  If I hadn’t saved, I’d get pension credit, what a great system!  At 60, I found other, part time jobs to supplement our income.  My husband, who’d had serious health issues, also had a part time job past retirement age.  

Its ten years since I did any paid work, but like lots of retired people I volunteer.   

Edited by Ms Macbeth

7 hours ago, redruby said:

If that’s a genuine post, then it’s not the case, at present anyway, that retirees will be taking jobs from the more needy. There is a labour shortage, otherwise the government wouldn’t give a hoot about coaxing anyone out of retirement.  They are also trying to support getting the long term sick back into employment and reduce long term sickness absence amongst other things.  

IMO they need to look at WHY so many take early retirement or go on long term sick. 

Bit's keep falling off :blush:

• Haha 2