Is xmas getting boring.

40 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

The actual Christmas day went reasonably well this year, however, I don't know if it's just the way Christmas day has fallen this year* but I REALLY have had enough of all this now. I am desperate just to get back to normal. It's almost depressing me now.

And it'll go on even longer for me because my lad's school have an "inset day" on the Tuesday. Now I like spending time with my lad but I want to get back to work, in fact I need to do so for my sanity !

* Since Xmas day and New Years day fell on a Sunday everyone has been given an extra Bank Holiday. Yet many places (like swimming pools.....) would normally have been open on the Sunday anyway so, basically, loads of places are just closed for an extra day, except it isn't just one extra day because of New Years day, so it's actually two extra days. I was talking to a few of the staff at our local pool the other day and most of them have had enough of all this almost as much as me.

My lad wanted to go to a particular play area yesterday, but, because of all this bank holiday fever it was only open in the afternoon and was already fully booked. What is the point in having time off it one cannot do anything with it ?!?

Just out of interest, is all this costing people on zero hours contracts extra money ?

Christmas / New Year this year is just going on and on and on and on........

Imagine, workers wanting holidays.

They’ll be expecting wages next.

21 minutes ago, spilldig said:

The way time is flying it is getting to a point where it is not worth taking the Christmas tree down,

I hope time keeps flying then we will get  to a General Election  quicker and get rid of this crap Tory party. 

2 hours ago, sibon said:

Imagine, workers wanting holidays.

They’ll be expecting wages next.

Two points :

1 - Workers get holidays throughout the year. The bank holidays are normally part of peoples' annual holiday entitlement and how may people actually want to be forced to take three or more days holidays at a particular time of year (when it's cold and dark and wet and a lot of stuff is shut anyway) ? I certainly do not.

2 - Do people on zero hours contracts or working in temporary jobs, actually get paid for bank holidays ?

>>They’ll be expecting wages next<<

When you crack a "joke" can you wink or something so we know to laugh courteously ?

Edited by Chekhov

51 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Two points :

1 - Workers get holidays throughout the year. The bank holidays are normally part of peoples' annual holiday entitlement and how may people actually want to be forced to take three or more days holidays at a particular time of year (when it's cold and dark and wet and a lot of stuff is shut anyway) ? I certainly do not.

2 - Do people on zero hours contracts or working in temporary jobs, actually get paid for bank holidays ?

>>They’ll be expecting wages next<<

When you crack a "joke" can you wink or something so we know to laugh courteously ?

The answer to your questions, in order, are:

1.Yes.

and 

2. Yes. Or at least, they are entitled to the same holiday pay as everyone else, pro rata.

I’ve no need to crack jokes. Your posts are hilarious enough on their own.

Edited by sibon

22 minutes ago, sibon said:

The answer to your questions, in order, are:

1.Yes [Bank Holidays are part of people's holiday entitlement].

and 

2. Yes. Or at least, they are entitled to the same holiday pay as everyone else, pro rata.

1 - So, when everyone is "given" an extra bank holiday, what that actually means is they are being forced to take their holidays on that day, regardless of if they actually want to. Not quite so magnanimous.....

2 - How can they work it out "pro rata" if workers hours are changing all the time ?

What would stop an employer simply not giving his employees on zero hours contracts no hours at all in December so they don't have to pay them the Bank Holidays !