Is xmas getting boring.

4 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

1 - So, when everyone is "given" an extra bank holiday, what that actually means is they are being forced to take their holidays on that day, regardless of if they actually want to. Not quite so magnanimous.....

2 - How can they work it out "pro rata" if workers hours are changing all the time ?

What would stop an employer simply not giving his employees on zero hours contracts no hours at all in December so they don't have to pay them the Bank Holidays !

I thought that you were an employer 

On 02/01/2023 at 13:48, sibon said:

I thought that you were an employer 

Just because I am an employer, a small employer with two part time staff, that does not mean I am an expert in employment law (or H&S law, or pension law, or tax law, or discrimination law etc etc). In fact it would be impossible for me to be an expert in all these areas, or even just one of them because I am an expert in aerials, poles, brackets and clamps, and not anything else.

This is a classic piece of Leftie idealistic misconception. They seem to think no matter how many complications are added to being an employer* because they think it is an employers "duty" to know everything there is to know (about all these areas) they will know it, because they have to know it. 

Well welcome to the real world, I do not have an HR department (or a legal department, or a pensions department, or a tax department) it's just me, and what is more I have a business to run.

*  and believe me it is getting more and more complicated all the time, you would not believe it. One would think the government are deliberately trying to make it so complicated as to put people off bothering to employ anyone. And it's been a Tory government (supposedly more sympathetic to the needs of business) for the last 12 years ! I hate to think how bad it will get if and when Starmer gets in.....

Edited by Chekhov

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Just because I am an employer, a small employer with two part time staff, that does not mean I am an expert in employment law (or H&S law, or pension law, or tax law, or discrimination law etc etc). In fact it would be impossible for me to be an expert in all these areas, or even just one of them because I am an expert in aerials, poles, brackets and clamps, and not anything else.

This is a classic piece of Leftie idealistic misconception. They seem to think no matter how many complications are added to being an employer (and believe me it is getting more and more complicated all the time) because they think it is an employers "duty" to know everything there is to know (about all these areas) they will know it, because they have to know it. 

Well welcome to the real world, I do not have an HR department (or a legal department, or a pensions department, or a tax department) it's just me, and what is more I have a business to run.

I’m no leftie, I’m a centrist. I might appear to be a leftie to the very confused, or the very right wing. I’ll leave you to decide which category fits you best.

Nobody is expecting you to be an expert in employment law, but a bit of basic competence shouldn’t be beyond you.

Anyway, as it is just past Christmas, here is a present for you. A summary of your legal responsibilities. You might want to read it through to ensure that you are complying with the law.

https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitlement-rights

Edited by sibon

3 hours ago, sibon said:

I’m no leftie, I’m a centrist. I might appear to be a leftie to the very confused, or the very right wing. I’ll leave you to decide which category fits you best.

If you are a centrist how often have you voted Tory then ?

I had never voted Tory until 2021. when Labour's attitude to the pandemic made me realise just what was important to me.

I shall never vote Labour again, and probbaly not LibDem either, if that makes me a right winger that's what I am.