John ,The Man With A Pram

butlers

17 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Top bloke. He doesn't get the recognition he deserves though. 

He did get to carry the Olympic torch, and that was over 10 years ago, he's even more well known now.

I always put 50p or a quid in his tin.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, francypants said:

He was awarded the BEM but in my ( and many other people's ) eyes he deserves more.

i have known john since 2009 as he opens our festival each year ,in 2019 he did the honour of unveiling the greenhill 50 year plaque ,scc council refused to attend as we did not choose them,the local MP and councillors and mayor did attend,we knighted him sir john burkhill at our festival at our opening of our festival,hes agreed that he would accept a knighthood on provision it was made clear that it was for what he done ,its a pity scc have not awarded the pavement award,sorry forgot its name,i am sure hes recieved 2 queen honours, hes a great man,kind thoughtfull  and so humble ,hes was also given a route in covid so he could keep fit,top man and deserves a knighthood asap.

• Like 2

On Christmas Day morning I set off in my car looking for John, I'd seen his Xmas Day route posted on Twitter. I drove through Dronfield looking for him and found him coming up Unstone Hill. I stopped and got out to chat with him, and gave him a donation. He's such a lovely bloke and says he is always happy to stop and talk to people, and doesn't put a time limit on his walks, he gets there when he gets there. I wished him well for the remainder of his Christmas Day, but a part of me assumes that Christmas must be a sad day for him seeing as he lost his wife and daughter to cancer.

I see he's at £891,095 I hope he meets his target, I'd like to think there is a business in Sheffield that will ensure he does.

By the way, his book is a very interesting read.

Edited by WarPig
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bassett one said:

i have known john since 2009 as he opens our festival each year ,in 2019 he did the honour of unveiling the greenhill 50 year plaque ,scc council refused to attend as we did not choose them,the local MP and councillors and mayor did attend

Eh? You had local councillors and the Lord Mayor (?) attend, why on earth would you want some random civil servant to turn up as well? 

2 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Eh? You had local councillors and the Lord Mayor (?) attend, why on earth would you want some random civil servant to turn up as well? 

well the housing area manager a lady not from sheffield in the past,but it was to celebrate the 50 years since the estate was completed and the 50 years of the tennants association,she thought we would automatically choose her to reveal the plaque,but as she had not even attended our festival ect,our committee wanted john as we all thought he was far more worthy,plus he even gave myself and our tara a page or two write up,top man he will get to that 1 million and become a sir,he deserves that and we have knighted him at our festival because to us he is the man

16 hours ago, bassett one said:

hes sheffields top man and should be SIR JOHN BURKHILL ,but remember we at lowedges festival knighted him first 

He is Sheffields top man and, lets all remember him as that, a sir would be pointless to him he would never let himself be called sir John Burlhill. 

• Like 1