When Will The Roadworks At Saltersbrook Bridge (Woodhead) Be Finished ?

Chekhov

5 hours ago, bkcin said:

The light timers are definitely off, we drove back to Sheff from Stockport yesterday around dinner time and had about a 40 minute delay due to the traffic. There was a huge delay between seeing cars stop at the lights on the oncoming side and the lights changing to green at the other side, didn't time it but it must have been over a minute. Luckily a few people were using their common sense and proceeding with caution through the red light when it was clear that the other end was on red and the road was clear of vehicles coming the other way.

You were fortunate to be going west. My brother said "the queue on the other side" (i.e. westbound) was much shorter then eastbound which they'd been stuck in. He says they might have been in the eastbound queue for one and a half hours !

But, why are the lights still there anyway and how long are they going to remain there ? That's the question !

Edited by Chekhov

5 hours ago, Chekhov said:

You were fortunate to be going west. My brother said "the queue on the other side" (i.e. westbound) was much shorter then eastbound which they'd been stuck in. He says they might have been in the eastbound queue for one and a half hours !

But, why are the lights still there anyway and how long are they going to remain there ? That's the question !

Any chance of a graph  ?

On 27/12/2022 at 17:43, bassett one said:

its about time we had many new roads to major citys also take the skegness route thats awfull,need new roads urgent,but doubt it will happen

Really?  I can do Sheffield to Skeg in under 2hrs using only A-roads (~90miles) . Great roads to drive on. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Any chance of a graph  ?

Thank you for your informative post.

9 hours ago, Resident said:

Really?  I can do Sheffield to Skeg in under 2hrs using only A-roads (~90miles) . Great roads to drive on. 

It took us a lot longer than 2 hours to come back from Skegness, albeit to Oughtibridge and in the summer holiday season. That said it's actually quicker to O/B than to much of Sheff as you just stay on the M1 and then cut over Jawbone.

Are you sure you were driving safely and sticking to the speed limits ? Google says 2hr 19min (in good traffic conditions).

Edited by Chekhov

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

Thank you for your informative post.

It took us a lot longer than 2 hours to come back from Skegness, albeit to Oughtibridge and in the summer holiday season. That said it's actually quicker to O/B than to much of Sheff as you just stay on the M1 and then cut over Jawbone.

Are you sure you were driving safely and sticking to the speed limits ? Google says 2hr 19min (in good traffic conditions).

Of course. Fully loaded up estate inc my kids. Sat at 60mph 90% of the way on cruise control. I go my own route, not following sat nav & avoid a lot of the congested parts. 

Last time I went it was in July, around mid-morning, took about 1hr 40. Non-stop. Only takes me over 2hrs if I have to break for a bathroom run with the kids. 

If it's taking you over 2 hours then you're either:

1. taking the wrong/longer route
2. One of those goits that panic brakes down to 20mph* everytime there's a slight kink in the road. 

*Slight exaggeration

5 hours ago, Resident said:

Of course. Fully loaded up estate inc my kids. Sat at 60mph 90% of the way on cruise control. I go my own route, not following sat nav & avoid a lot of the congested parts. 
Last time I went it was in July, around mid-morning, took about 1hr 40. Non-stop. Only takes me over 2hrs if I have to break for a bathroom run with the kids. 
If it's taking you over 2 hours then you're either:
1. taking the wrong/longer route
2. One of those goits that panic brakes down to 20mph* everytime there's a slight kink in the road. 

*Slight exaggeration

I never drive at 60mph on a  single carriageway road if I have my family in the car, nor do I overtake unless the car in front is driving ridiculously slowly, i.e. less than 40. It's mainly the lives of my family are more important to me than saving a few minutes, but it's also more relaxing, quieter and cheaper (more mpg and less wear and tear on one's vehicle's brakes and transmission) to just cruise at 50.

That said, bearing in mind one frequently has to slow down for slower traffic and/or tight bends, I do not actually think attempting to do 60 rather than 50 would make that much difference unless one was very lucky.

Google states that the shortest route from Sheffield City centre to Skegness is 97 miles, so 1hr 40 min would correspond to 58mph average, i.e. impossible to do without speeding and probably indulging in frequent overtakes on the Lincolnshire roads which are the most dangerous roads in the country.

97 miles in two hours would be an average of 49mph, which I would consider far from slow for that route, arguably even that would involve a great deal of luck not being slowed by traffic and/or frequent overtakes on the most dangerous roads in the country.

You are making an assumption there that the shortest route is in fact the quickest.

Also, if the speed limit on a single carriageway road is 60 and you are pootling along at 45/50, with no other complicating factors such as wind, ice, snow, heavy rain etc, it is incredibly selfish but I am not at all surprised.

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Chekhov said:

I never drive at 60mph on a  single carriageway road if I have my family in the car, nor do I overtake unless the car in front is driving ridiculously slowly, i.e. less than 40. It's mainly the lives of my family are more important to me than saving a few minutes, but it's also more relaxing, quieter and cheaper (more mpg and less wear and tear on one's vehicle's brakes and transmission) to just cruise at 50.

That said, bearing in mind one frequently has to slow down for slower traffic and/or tight bends, I do not actually think attempting to do 60 rather than 50 would make that much difference unless one was very lucky.

Google states that the shortest route from Sheffield City centre to Skegness is 97 miles, so 1hr 40 min would correspond to 58mph average, i.e. impossible to do without speeding and probably indulging in frequent overtakes on the Lincolnshire roads which are the most dangerous roads in the country.

97 miles in two hours would be an average of 49mph, which I would consider far from slow for that route, arguably even that would involve a great deal of luck not being slowed by traffic and/or frequent overtakes on the most dangerous roads in the country.

You're assuming that I'm starting from the centre of Sheffield, which I am not. My journey, from start to finish is approximately 86 miles, I don't use sat nav to guide me (although it is used to alert me to traffic ahead) because I have my own route.

86 miles in 1hr 40 equates to an average of 51.6mph

My estate wasn't one of your common clapped out,  gutless family econoboxes either. 

UK roads are some of the safest roads in the world, the only thing that makes them dangerous is those who misuse/lack the skills to use them correctly. (My IAM instructor's words, not mine)

7 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

You are making an assumption there that the shortest route is in fact the quickest.

Also, if the speed limit on a single carriageway road is 60 and you are pootling along at 45/50, with no other complicating factors such as wind, ice, snow, heavy rain etc, it is incredibly selfish but I am not at all surprised.

Or that I am starting in City Centre and not one of the southern suburbs, as I was

And I agree, travelling 25% under the limit with no encumberments is just the sign of a poor/nervous driver. 

10 hours ago, Resident said:

And I agree, travelling 25% under the limit with no encumberments is just the sign of a poor/nervous driver. 

Who said I did 25% under the limit ? Breakdown in communication there, probably because you are taking HeHasRisen's Trolling seriously.
I do about 50 odd when I have my family in the car, maybe 55 if the road conditions are conducive.

I said I would not bother over taking a driver if they were doing at least 40, particularly on a busy road because :

1 - Safe overtaking opportunities would be more  limited

and

2 - It'd be pointless anyway because you'd just end up behind someone else. That happens all the time going over Woodhead, you'll get some guy (because it almost always is a bloke) over take you as you do 50 odd, only to be just in front of you when you get to the next queue behind a truck or the queue at Mottram. It's an absolutely pointless overtake.