What Are You Doing For New Years Eve?

Well, I shall be going to a little social club that is very well managed with very friendly and efficient staff, very clean and welcoming, has no trouble, has excellent entertainment, a good choice of drinks at very fair prices and isn't in Sheffield!   I couldn't find one to match it in Sheffield,  ...... Pity really!

I’m not a fan of the new year and normally I don’t bother with it, you don’t know what you are seeing in. 

This year however I’m going to Newcastle centre in the evening it’s really to celebrate a relatives special birthday. Then a walk along the Quayside to see the laser lights being switched on and the iconic Tyne bridges lit up with vibrant lights and a fireworks display. 

They did the laser lights last year because the new year fireworks display was cancelled because of covid. 

It was spectacular last year to look outside your window and see the sky lit up with laser lights. People who lived miles away said they could see it. They did the laser light experience every hour in the evening for 3 nights.

Edited by hauxwell

5 hours ago, Tipstaff said:

Well, I shall be going to a little social club that is very well managed with very friendly and efficient staff, very clean and welcoming, has no trouble, has excellent entertainment, a good choice of drinks at very fair prices and isn't in Sheffield!   I couldn't find one to match it in Sheffield,  ...... Pity really!

There's always "Padders Bar"

If your desperate!

6 hours ago, Tipstaff said:

(I was working on it Padders) 🤣

There are a few lads, lass's and a few unsure's on this very fine forum that have found just such the place. Situated in the outer region of the highly regarded borough of Loxley and 'Officially recognised' as a 'Free State' (in a mix up by SCC on the night of the great Sheffield storm) (1962) 'Padders bar'.  Immortalised in that 'great' Ealing comedy 'Passport to Pimlico Padders' has been 'surreptitiously like,' entertaining those in the know with great merriment, at (may I say) 'most reasonable costs' (providing money is being exchanged over the bar and that darn Parrot is fed) ever since.

While the present exchange rate from Pounds Sterling to LSD (Loxley Spending Disks) is quite reasonable at the moment, the backlog of requests for Passports is causing some consternation. The 'gorgeous' 'Tinsel' (formally known as 'Big Dave' before the operation) has promised 'Mien Host' 'King of all he surveys, and proclaimed ,Great Fumbler' the problem will be sorted in time for the 'Grand re-opening' after the highly successful Padders Christmas shindig.

Johnny Longprong will compare various things  the nights entertainment which will include recitals of ancient Loxley battle cries, Flapper's indoor flypast and the traditional 'Naked Bog Snorkelling' prelude to 'Piping the New Year in.

As a special treat after gracing  us with his unexpected stay over (partly due to having partaken in too much of the 108% bathtub gin) last year, Sheffield Wednesday supporter extraordinaire 'Mighty Mick the Monkey  and his Top Hatted Barrel organ playing side-kick Mr Bloke will end the evenings entertainment with the leading of the great unwashed, through the most ancient and secret Bagley Dyke underground tunnel and river network down to the Northern General where the annual early morning stomach pumping  will take place.   

See the source image

Keep safe, pop on down.

See 2023 in with style.

Rocker 8)

Edited by Rockers rule
-
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

(I was working on it Padders) 🤣

There are a few lads, lass's and a few unsure's on this very fine forum that have found just such the place. Situated in the outer region of the highly regarded borough of Loxley and 'Officially recognised' as a 'Free State' (in a mix up by SCC on the night of the great Sheffield storm) (1962) 'Padders bar'.  Immortalised in that 'great' Ealing comedy 'Passport to Pimlico Padders' has been 'surreptitiously like,' entertaining those in the know with great merriment, at (may I say) 'most reasonable costs' (providing money is being exchanged over the bar and that darn Parrot is fed) ever since.

While the present exchange rate from Pounds Sterling to LSD (Loxley Spending Disks) is quite reasonable at the moment, the backlog of requests for Passports is causing some consternation. The 'gorgeous' 'Tinsel' (formally known as 'Big Dave' before the operation) has promised 'Mien Host' 'King of all he surveys, and proclaimed ,Great Fumbler' the problem will be sorted in time for the 'Grand re-opening' after the highly successful Padders Christmas shindig.

Johnny Longprong will compare various things  the nights entertainment which will include recitals of ancient Loxley battle cries, Flapper's indoor flypast and the traditional 'Naked Bog Snorkelling' prelude to 'Piping the New Year in.

As a special treat after gracing  us with his unexpected stay over (partly due to having partaken in too much of the 108% bathtub gin) last year, Sheffield Wednesday supporter extraordinaire 'Mighty Mick the Monkey  and his Top Hatted Barrel organ playing side-kick Mr Bloke will end the evenings entertainment with the leading of the great unwashed, through the most ancient and secret Bagley Dyke underground tunnel and river network down to the Northern General where the annual early morning stomach pumping  will take place.   

See the source image

Keep safe, pop on down.

See 2023 in with style.

Rocker 8)

Thanks for the plug Rocker,

Yes indeed, "Padders Bar" has a unique history.

Back in Medieval times the great "Raymondo-de Padders" was the defender of the peace in Longley.

"Our Kid" fought many battles against the "Parson Cross Pikeys" who took it among themselves to invade our territory hoping for rich pickings.

Raymondo's bravery was rewarded with a Knighthood (Not to be confused with Hackeys night hood)

The now titled "SIR RAYMONDO" had a castle built where he would entertain the fair maidens of Longley.

This led to the formation of a tavern built in the castle grounds, where SIR RAY would invite members of the Gentry to have a night of merriment, a tradition which is carried on nightly to this very day.

This Tavern became known to the locals as "Padders Bar"

Now SIR RAY was a very generous chap (a product ingrained in my DNA)

Every New Years Eve SIR RAY would invite the serfs and peasants around to "Padders Bar" and, in recognition of their hard work and toil in building the Castle, he would reward them with a bowl of Gruel, at a very cheap price of 1 groat.

The fair maidens were also given the opportunity to handle his famous Lance, which now stands proudly behind the present day "Padders Bar"

Why not call in at this remarkable bar on New Years Eve, enjoy a night in this historic "Tavern"

On behalf of myself and the crew, 

A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR to all our patrons.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Started the day with a warming bowl of salted porridge 😋.

And listening to some rousing pipe music.

️SCOTLAND THE BRAVE ️ PIPES & DRUMS ( HD )️ - YouTube

& this guy

The Badpiper Thunderstruck - YouTube

See you all you Sassenachs on the other side 8)

Thanks for sharing the link. I love to hear the bagpipes, it looked a bit dangerous tho fire coming out of the pipes. It was good tho.

Edited by hauxwell
  • Thanks 1