Wards & Stones Breweries

Yesteryear

23 minutes ago, bassett one said:

welll i liked a good pint of wards,also a good pint of stones ,met a landlord once who claimed his wards was best ,never tried it but he put so he said  4 gold labels in each barrel but cannot recall his pub,but wards did a good beer with honey in it as well.

The Grindstone?

On 28/12/2022 at 19:12, dan2802 said:

Wards was always a terrible pint. There's a reason the brewery is now gone.

There is a reason, but not what you're suggesting.... Wards parent company was Vaux Breweries in Sunderland, they suffered a city boardroom coup, the new management wanted to go out of brewing and become a hotel and pub owning chain... Wards had put £5.5m into the coffers in the previous year but they didn't consider it enough, but worse still blocked a bid for a management buyout.. Shameful business. 

I once saw a spewdent take a pint of Wards back to the bar in the Red House pub, on Solly Street, claiming it smelled of sewage. It was explained to him that Wards smelled like that because of the maltiness.

It was never long afore a newcomer to Wards Best Bitter had a bad case of Shytes Macgregor.

sadbrewer.

hey up mate......happy new year to you.

Lets not forget The Queens Hotel on Scotland Street...plus the other pub lower down ont same side. I forget the name of it but it was run by the unusual Ruth and Barry.

I recall some other Wards pubs too:

Manchester Hotel Nursery St.
Domino         Egerton St.
The Matilda    Matilda St.
The Harlequin  Johnson St.
Brown Cow      Mowbray St.

I'll leave others to name the Wards pubs out of town cos ah cant be bovvered.