New Year's Eve Singers

sovrappeso

Does anybody remember groups of children going round houses singing the new year in (and hopefully being given a bob or two). I only remember a few words of the song: "the log was burning brightly, 'twas a night that  should banish all sin, for the bells were ringing the old year out, and the new year in.  The last I heard the song was in the mid 1950s.

1 hour ago, sovrappeso said:

Does anybody remember groups of children going round houses singing the new year in (and hopefully being given a bob or two). I only remember a few words of the song: "the log was burning brightly, 'twas a night that  should banish all sin, for the bells were ringing the old year out, and the new year in.  The last I heard the song was in the mid 1950s.

Not New Year but we don’t now have any Carols on Christmas Eve like we used to.

Edited by pattricia

9 hours ago, sovrappeso said:

From "The miner's dream of home"

A very old song with some lovely words.

I would love to hear it sang slowly by a girl with a Yorkshire Brass Band backing her.

In Sheffield we used to go round the houses on New years Eve "Wassailing". 

Here we come a wassailing among the leaves so green,

Here we come a wassailing the fairest ever seen

Love & Joy Come to you and to you your wassails too
Pray God send you all a happy New Year.

Nobody would have a clue these days what we were singing about!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sovrappeso said:

Remember it well. It was the ancient rite of "mummering". Widespread during the 40's.

New Years eve was the time to don blackface (soot) and wish the neighbors a Happy New Year! Something to do with the chimney sweep bringing a year of good luck if you invited him in the "poke the fire".

Had it's own "carols" too. 

Happy New Year, Happy New Year, 

Plenty of money and a cellar full of beer!  etc

Hole in mi stocking, hole in mi shoe

Please can you spare me a copper or too!  etc

And it filled our "money boxes" again after the Christmas.  :)

• Like 1