Switching Off At The Mains, Does It Make Any Difference?

42 minutes ago, fools said:

link don't work for me, is it the elf/shapps one?

you'd think everyone would know all this stuff, but when you glance at social media, it becomes apparent there are an awful number of less than intelligent beings out there, it's a bit of an eye opener how little people know.

---

gov.uk/saveenergy say this:

Almost all electrical appliances in your home, such as computers, televisions, smart devices and video game consoles, draw power continuously unless unplugged. Turn off the power switch at the socket or unplug appliances from the socket when they are not in use.

which although 'almost all' is pushing it, and draw some power would be more accurate, it's more or less correct.

Clicking the link and the first 30 seconds is what you get for your 8Mill 🤣

3 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Clicking the link and the first 30 seconds is what you get for your 8Mill 🤣

as I said, doesn't work for me - seen the elf one if that's it, awful.

4 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I think education is to blame tbh. I dont recall the basics of life such as "how to read an electric meter" being taught. 

that's not something that needs to be taught

Edited by fools

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I think education is to blame tbh. I dont recall the basics of life such as "how to read an electric meter" being taught. 

Also, in this instance the way the price cap has been advertised doesnt help either, it really should be sold as "a max of 7p per unit gas and 32p per unit electric" (or whatever the current prices are). 

I have genuinely seen posts elsewhere from people stating things like "British Gas are asking for 300 a month from me, I thought the cap was 2500 a year so are they breaking the law?" Staggering ignorance.

Spot on Lord :thumbsup:

I won't have a smart meter fitted despite the offer of a free Costa Coffee or a Tree Planted.

If I couldn't work out a day spent welding in't garage is gonna cost me more than a day wielding a pair of spanners bolting things back together and budget accordingly I'd be ashamed of my self.

My suppliers wanted to put my regular payment up despite being in credit (soon sorted them out).

"My mortgage is going up" winds me up, hasn't stopped the buggers ordering out or calling into KFC or playing on't  X box till't early hours of the morning 🤣.

All the best for 2023 Lord

Rocker 8) .

6 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

I won't have a smart meter fitted despite the offer of a free Costa Coffee or a Tree Planted.

If I couldn't work out a day spent welding in't garage is gonna cost me more than a day wielding a pair of spanners bolting things back together and budget accordingly I'd be ashamed of my self..

With the prices per kwh as they are, they are incredibly useful if used properly

13 minutes ago, fools said:

With the prices per kwh as they are, they are incredibly useful if used properly

In what way?

Explain 'Incredible'.

I keep my own records, send the details on line and manage to turn off my own lights, Amazing Perception for an old Rocker 🤣.

Keep safe fools

and all the best for 2023

Rocker 8) .

17 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

In what way?

Explain 'Incredible'.

I keep my own records, send the details on line and manage to turn off my own lights, Amazing Perception for an old Rocker 🤣.

we are now spending 1000s instead of 100's per annum, unless you're loaded, that's something most people might want to address.

incredibly useful, not incredible. it would answer the OPs question for a start

apart from the ease of reading/removing the hassle of billing and sending readings, estimates etc

you can find out exactly how much each appliance uses, and adapt to save money.

in the past, pre-cap, you could get a better price with a smartmeter, and now you can take up the grid offer to reduce use at peak times if you wish

identify gas leaks, faults, and rogue devices.

work out how to use each appliance efficiently, they aren't all just on or off

work out how to heat the home in the most efficient manner

if you've got led lights, they aren't much of a problem.

downsides ... privacy ... all the data being siphoned off to quango's, potential hacking target.

Edited by fools

1 hour ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

As to fire risk: is there any risk whatsoever if an appliance (switched-off) is left plugged-in?

And is the answer different if the plughole-switch is 'off' too?

In all houshold/garden appliances there are mains filter capacitors fitted across live and neutral usually just after the on/off switch, these can short circuit especially if there is a voltage surge. They are designed to be fire-proof, but the short will take out the fuses back up the line (if the fuses are rated correctly) or the trip-fuse at the box. It's rare for them to actually fail though. Also, even when the appliance is switched off, the mains can still be connected to the control electronics inside.

There can be problems with vintage equipment like amplifiers and similar which might not have the up-to date safety features of modern electronics.

If the socket itself is switched off then the appliance is completely isolated from the live and sometimes the neutral also, provided it has been wired correctly.

When using soldering irons and similar, always pull out the plug when unattended, this guarantees isolation!

2 hours ago, fools said:

yes, if the wall socket is live and switched on, the appliance cable is live .. so you are relying on the plug fuse and consumer unit to protect you from overload.

That only applies to an electrical item if that item is switched on. If the item is switched off then although the cable may be live no current is passing through it so there can be no chance of any overload whatsoever. It's not necessary to switch sockets off either if the item plugged in is also switched off as again no current is being drawn.

Just now, Dromedary said:

That only applies to an electrical item if that item is switched on. If the item is switched off then although the cable may be live no current is passing through it so there can be no chance of any overload whatsoever. It's not necessary to switch sockets off either if the item plugged in is also switched off as again no current is being drawn.

oh lets not argue about electrics again, you're gonna be wrong

ok, what happens if you cut or crush the live wire ... don't try this at home peeps. What do you think that fuse in the plug is for.

switching off at the appliance doesn't necessarily isolate the device at all, which is largely what this thread is about.