Switching Off At The Mains, Does It Make Any Difference?

58 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Spot on Lord :thumbsup:

I won't have a smart meter fitted despite the offer of a free Costa Coffee or a Tree Planted.

Nor me either. They are great for the suppliers thought as they can just switch you off remotely or change tariff at a whim if you become in arrears!

12 minutes ago, fools said:

we are now spending 1000s instead of 100's per annum, unless you're loaded, that's something most people might want to address.

incredibly useful, not incredible. it would answer the OPs question for a start

apart from the ease of reading/removing the hassle of billing and sending readings, estimates etc

you can find out exactly how much each appliance uses, and adapt to save money.

in the past, pre-cap, you could get a better price with a smartmeter, and now you can take up the grid offer to reduce use at peak times if you wish

identify gas leaks, faults, and rogue devices.

work out how to use each appliance efficiently, they aren't all just on or off

work out how to heat the home in the most efficient manner

if you've got led lights, they aren't much of a problem.

downsides ... privacy ... all the data being siphoned off to quango's, potential hacking target.

Thank you Fools.  Explained most eloquently.

The last line is enough reason for me.

Once again, thank you and all the best for 2023.

Rocker 8) 

14 minutes ago, fools said:

oh lets not argue about electrics again, you're gonna be wrong

Try reading up on it as unless the appliance is switched on then there can be no current flowing through the wire, a basic electrical principle that you learn when doing electrical engineering. Now what was that about being wrong....:hihi:

ok, what happens if you cut or crush the live wire ... don't try this at home peeps.

You trip the circuit breaker that protects that particular ring or circuit, and you may also get a shock from being stupid!;)

What do you think that fuse in the plug is for.

To protect the cable from overload when the appliance is switched on

switching off at the appliance doesn't necessarily isolate the device at all, which is largely what this thread is about.

Yes it does unless that appliance also has a standby mode that is also switched on.

5 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

The last line is enough reason for me.

👍

Edited by Dromedary
did a slinny

4 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

Even the wrong ones?:hihi:

how much did your last slow cooker meal cost in electricity.

what is the switch on a socket for if you don't need one.

what are those quick blow fuses for inside your device

how much electricity does a tv use in standby

Edited by fools

9 minutes ago, fools said:

how much did your last slow cooker meal cost in electricity.

I don't know as I never measured it, nice little strawman there though to divert from the fact you were wrong. :hihi:

what is the switch on a socket for if you don't need one.

You may have not noticed but not all sockets are switched sockets and no one mentioned you don't need one either, only you. The switch is normally there so you can switch off an appliance that does not have a switch like a wall charger for instance.

what are those quick blow fuses for inside your device

For surge current protection. Again, you only get a current flow if the device is switched on so having one it's not going to do anything if the device is switched off!

Edited by Dromedary

32 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

Nor me either. They are great for the suppliers thought as they can just switch you off remotely or change tariff at a whim if you become in arrears!

You mean like they just go and get a court order for people with normal meters, and come and bang on your door and you get embarassed in front of your neighbours?

Its no different.

There is also no evidence they "switch people off". That happens at the "exchange", to everyone (or in groups) usually during planned blackouts or supply issues, regardless of meter type. Who are these people being "switched off remotely", and why?

Edited by HeHasRisen