Christmas /New Year Virus

been speaking to quite a few people this week who have had and me included this terrible cough, wheezy chest, breathlessness,snotty runny nose that comes and goes daily for the last 2 weeks plus  some have had it up to 6 weeks, its really tiresome and makes sleeping difficult !, now is this a result of the covid jabs ?? or just good old fashioned flu which apparently went away or a new virus from a combination of things either way docs dont seem to want to give out anti biotics??? anyone on here had the symptoms or know anyone  and how to get rid or is it a waiting game

1 minute ago, ab6262 said:

been speaking to quite a few people this week who have had and me included this terrible cough, wheezy chest, breathlessness,snotty runny nose that comes and goes daily for the last 2 weeks plus  some have had it up to 6 weeks, its really tiresome and makes sleeping difficult !, now is this a result of the covid jabs ?? or just good old fashioned flu which apparently went away or a new virus from a combination of things either way docs dont seem to want to give out anti biotics??? anyone on here had the symptoms or know anyone  and how to get rid or is it a waiting game

Me to.

The mild symptoms are likely to be a virus known as a 'cold'.

Doctors do not prescribe antibiotics for viruses because antibiotics have no effect whatsoever on cold viruses.

The mild symptoms  you describe are nothing like 'flu.

'Flu never went away. The Covid restrictions had the effect of massively reducing the spread. Three years of particularly successful 'flu vaccination programmes helped.

Most Covid jabs were given in October/November so nothing to do with your cold. 

The 'common cold' viruses are highly infectious and fast mutating and no successful vaccines have been developed yet.

The symptoms are the result of the reaction of our own immune system and are not caused directly by the virus.

Hydration, diet, decongestant, off the shelf painkillers may help.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Me to.

The mild symptoms are likely to be a virus known as a 'cold'.

Doctors do not prescribe antibiotics for viruses because antibiotics have no effect whatsoever on cold viruses.

The mild symptoms  you describe are nothing like 'flu.

'Flu never went away. The Covid restrictions had the effect of massively reducing the spread. Three years of particularly successful 'flu vaccination programmes helped.

Most Covid jabs were given in October/November so nothing to do with your cold. 

The 'common cold' viruses are highly infectious and fast mutating and no successful vaccines have been developed yet.

The symptoms are the result of the reaction of our own immune system and are not caused directly by the virus.

Hydration, diet, decongestant, off the shelf painkillers may help.

i think its more than a cold and not as bad as real flu its more like a chest infection combined with the cough etc  which is why i said antibiotics but try getting to see a doctor!

15 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

i think its more than a cold and not as bad as real flu its more like a chest infection combined with the cough etc  which is why i said antibiotics but try getting to see a doctor!

Common cold NHS

'Flu NHS

Antibiotics are not recommended as by their nature they have no effect on viruses or the mucus, phlegm, pain, fever etc. caused by the reaction of your immune system. Their uncontrolled use can cause unforeseen problems.

The fact that "There is a lot of it about at this time of year" is an indication of a cold virus.

A bacterial infection of the lung is far more serious and you would know the difference. A 'phone consultation would be sufficient to identify a bacterial infection and further investigation. Accurate body temperature and blood pulse pressure would be useful to give over the phone.

People with a cold should not go to the doctor, people with 'flu would not get there. 

A local Pharmacist will often give good advice on local levels of infection and best things to take.

Persistent dry coughs and sore throats are another matter

Let's not forget that coronaviruses can cause a spectrum of illnesses from a 'common cold' to the far more serious Covid19, SARS, MERS etc. 

Maybe the term 'common cold' is misleading nowadays. The seriousness of it may depend more on where you caught it from and/or how your older body is able to cope with it. Age is in many cases a far worse affliction than the bugs that are out there.

5 hours ago, Victor Meldrew said:

Let's not forget that coronaviruses can cause a spectrum of illnesses from a 'common cold' to the far more serious Covid19, SARS, MERS etc. 

Maybe the term 'common cold' is misleading nowadays.

The seriousness of it may depend more on where you caught it from 

Think mine came from China  🤣 

the cold /virus i have had now 4 weeks wheezy chest cough ect,after 3 weeks it started to subside,but i know many who have it like myself,it also gives tooth ache as well,so bad i went to my dentist,she checked the 2 teeth via xrays they where fine ,so called the doctor who said right you need antibotics and steroids ,he said it was a bad cold/virus and gave me a 5 day doze of each,i then thought just a bit of a cough left it will go as did the tooth ache  ,alas after 4 days it got worse,so rang my doctor who said come in,he said again its a bad one and now said after checking lungs ect,ect that i needed a final 5 days of antibotics and steroids and that would clear it,he said steroids are not advised in normal coughs ect,but this going round needed one 5 day or 10 day to clear it,i did the covid check as its simular as i am due that injection once this has cleared,i have had my flu vacination already,so its a mixed cough chest and cold infection,please note i am heading towards 70 so it effects older people more,although a long answer i hope it explains this horrid virus ect.